Chapter Twenty Nine

"When you're numb to the touch,
You cannot chase this ghost away.
And this too shall pass, this too shall pass.
It won't always be the same.
And every single scar that you claim,
Is a stone in the path to this place.
And every single choice that you made,
Has led you this way, so lay your head on me."
- Major Lazer.

___

Hey guys. While I was on my break, I got interviewed in _Mayowa_ 's "Digging Deep With Nigerian Writers." Y'all should kindly go check it out. I'll be glad if you do so. Thank you.
Come back here😏, she added my picture to the interview nah🤧 Even if it's because of only that one, please go check it out🥺 Thank you❤️😊
___

While awaiting Aunty Tosin's arrival at the sick bay, Jared brought out his face towel from his pocket and tied my hand so the blood could stop rushing out. I let him do it and when he was done, I thanked him. There was about a minute of silence and when I was getting bored, I decided to start a conversation.

"But Jared. . ." I paused as I turned to face him.

"Uhn?"

"Why did you go and meet Joy? You weren't even sure if she was the one I was referring to." I said.

"Of course, I knew. She's the only one who claims to be my girlfriend and this isn't her first time. When Adeola joined this school then, she did the same to her."

"When was that?"

"I think S.S.S. 1. Yeah, S.S.S. 1." He said.

"Since then? Guy, she has liked you since then?"

"Uhn."

"Why didn't you give her a chance with you though?" I asked. He looked at me for awhile and sighed.

"Because I don't like her that way." He said. "Actually, we were really close before but I noticed some things in her I didn't like and I told her. . ." Then, he paused.

"But she didn't heed?"

"That would have been better since it would be on her if when she didn't heed."

"Then what did she do?"

"She insulted my parents while the whole class were present. You might think it's a normal thing students do but no, it isn't to me. Actually, I come from a kind of low class background so, I work, kind of, to fend for myself since my parents are already doing a good job in trying hard to pay my school fees and my younger ones'. It was only Joy that knew about this background and she said it in class insultingly, just because I told her things about her behaviour I didn't like."

"Oh. . . I'm so sorry about that." I said to him.

He chuckled and replied. "Ahan, no problem nah. She apologized later though, so I've forgiven her. Probably if she had changed then, we could have been together but even till now, I don't think she has."

"Was it that same day she apologized?"

He laughed. "That same day Ke. I went awol S.S.S. 2 third term, like everybody said and I'm sure you'd have heard it too. It was when I returned this year she apologized."