Chapter Fifteen

A/N: I want to use this moment to appreciate your reads and all. Also, my news flash is that I got my admission two Sundays ago😊🤭 Thanks for all your support🥺🥰💖 I'm also sorry for the delay in the updates. I've been really busy these days😩 Plus I fell ill, and you know Nigerian parents' mentality😹, they'd be like it's because of phone I'm sick😒💔 Thanks for understanding also❣️ I love y'all💓
______

"What does perfect even mean?
Is there even such a thing?"
- Unknown Brain.
--------

Today is the D-day, the Yoruba day is today. Most of us in A class wore school uniform to school. Not the complete uniform anyway. Some girls in B class wore mufti, and they'll later change to their attires. We had Agric morning class as the assembly was going on. We kept peeping to the assembly to see the junior classes in their native attires.

"Ah, these children. We don't even know if the culture day will hold again today." Daddy Agric said, looking at the assembly from our class.

"But everybody thought it would be today?" Jetemi said.

"Let's wait and see sha." He replied her.

Minutes later, the principal peeped through our class window and told Daddy Agric that the Yoruba day will hold. Soon, Daddy Agric released us and we walked to the assembly. The person coordinating the assembly talked about our culture and all that.

Not very long after, we were told that the invited gangan (talking drum) drummers are here. Those who haven't changed were told to go change. All SSS3 students moved to where they were to change. Before we got to class, the guys have locked the door. So, we couldn't change in class. We decided to use the Library.

We rushed there and changed to our different clothes. Biola, Rachel, Lydia and I wore straight gown, while Jetemi wore Iro and Buba. Our friend from the other class, Stephanie, couldn't make it. She lost her Mum some days back. We were told she travelled to Ibadan for her burial. I really felt bad for her.

After applying make-up and all, one of the male teachers came to chase us out from the Library to join the other students. The whole school has changed to a colourful one. We were told to all line up. Two lines were formed. Biola and Jetemi were in front, as the lead dancers around the school compound. Lydia and I decided to stay at the back, because we thought we won't dance.

As soon as the drums started beating and everyone started dancing on their lines, out of the school compound, it got more interesting. Lydia and I found our way to the front with the others. We realised Rachel and Favour (Fiyin's ex) were also in front. All five of us started to dance freely in the front, facing one another.

We danced all around the outer four corners of the school. Those in the street kept staring at us. When we were almost done and returning back to school, the TV stations arrived. They began to video us. So, we had to dance harder and better, because we were the ones in front.

As soon as we danced back into the school, most of us were tired already. I collected my phone from the guy I gave it to. I checked the videos he recorded. Damn! The guy recorded shit, I swear. It was manageable anyway.

We were all ushered into the school hall as activities began immediately. There were cultural dances from junior classes, poems and Yoruba games (Ayo) and other things were done.

When it was time for the cultural dance Jetemi belonged to, she wasn't feeling too good. She told me and Lydia she was tired and it was really obvious from the look on her face. She was trying to convince us that she could still lead the dancers.