Chapter Six

"Say I gotta get up and get on my way.
Leave the negativity way behind me.
Say I'll never ever settle for less."
- Maher Zain.
___

It was the Monday of my 5th week. I walked out of the art class to get my Agric science note in class. Our class was being used by the Food & Nutrition students. So, science students wanted to use the Art class for the morning lecture since the art students had no subject.

I walked back to B class after taking my note in class. I was about entering when someone was also about coming out. We almost barged into each other as I used my hand to cover my face in a way of protection in case I get pushed. I noticed the guy pushed his hands forward in a gun-like manner and made a "Psh" sound with his mouth as he walked pass me. Then, I lowered my hands and looked back to see the dumbass that barged into me. I turned back to meet a staring Demmie.

Oh! So, he was actually expecting me to look back. LOL. I thought.

I just smiled to him as I remembered our chat on Friday evening and how he had replied me with 'blah blah blah'. He typed up to thirty of that. He's a psycho. He smiled back and I think I heard him say "Good morning."

Did he just let his pride slide?

"Yeah, Morning." I replied as I turned back and entered the class.

• • •

After the afternoon assembly was dismissed, I was going to class when the Proprietor called me and I went to meet him. I went on my knees to greet him and I stood up after he answered me. He told me about the importance of afternoon lessons. He said he thinks I should join because it's very important especially for someone like me, after failing Chemistry twice. I nodded and said I'll talk to my dad which I know I won't, since I know he won't let me do it.

Mr. Makinde gave me #200 again, for the bike transport fare after the lesson. I thanked him and went to class. Soon, we finished the lesson and it was a bit late already and I still had to take bike. While I was on the bike on my way home, I thought of the things I should tell my mum and dad as to why I was late from school. Later, I got down from the bike at my bustop and I walked tiredly to my house. The gate wasn't locked from the back because as I was about knocking the gate, it opened itself.

Dad and mum were in the first sitting room. They didn't even let me talk before Mum hugged me. I was a bit surprised because I thought they'd talk to me.

"It was bike you took right?" Dad said to me and I told him yes. He told me how they were worried and it was getting late, so he had called Proprietor and he explained everything to my dad and also told him he gave me the transport fare and since then, they've been praying I should get home safe.

"Pele dear. God will not suffer you ehn. Please, don't take bike again oh." Dad said.

"Jor oh. If the bus can't bring you, don't take bike again oh! Evening lesson is not for you niyen. Just don't take bike again, okay?" Mum added.

"Okay, mum." I answered reluctantly.

Overprotective set of people, I thought.

"I'll discuss with the Proprietor, maybe he'll allow one of the buses to drop you off everyday, even if it involves paying extra money." Dad said and I thanked him. I walked to my room to change and to meet my brother who was cooking in the Kitchen.

• • •

Back home in the evening, Mum was speaking to me but I didn't hear a word.

"Demilade?" I jerked up at my mum's call of my name.