Chapter 55 - Volcanic Panic

The kids watched in horror as Magmar released a powerful blast of orange fire, and Pikachu stood still as the blast headed straight toward him. "Pikachu, duck for cover!" Ash called.

The male Pikachu fell down on the ground, and the blast hit his back. "Pika-chu!" Emma's Pikachu called. The male mouse stood up, panting as sparks pulled from his cheeks.

"Your little Pikachu doesn't know when to give up," Blaine said. Ash glared at him but then ran closer to his Pokémon, "Forget it, Pikachu. It's--it's not worth it." Pikachu looked up at him, "Pika?" Ash took Pikachu into his arms and looked at Blaine, "I quit. No badge is worth losing Pikachu."

Blaine gave a small nod, "I congratulate you for making a wise decision, Ash. Just in time." He put on his wig, "If you would have been foolish enough to continue to match, you'd definitely would have been disqualified as a Pokémon trainer." He turned to leave but glanced at him, "Your Pikachu needs rest, the hot springs will help him recover from his injuries."

He started to walk away. "Hey where you going, Blaine? Hold on, you gotta give me another chance," Ash said. "We may battle again," Blaine said, "Some day." With that said he walked out and his Magmar jumped into the lava.

Ash looked at his Pikachu, "I'm sorry Pikachu. It's all my fault we've lost." The male mouse looked down sadly, "Pika..." Ash looked toward the door in determination, "But I'm not leaving Cinnabar Island until I'll beat Blaine and his Magmar, and get that badge."

...................

In the morning, the kids were back at the hot springs. Ash was cleaning his Pikachu up, much to the male mouse's delight. "You'll feel 100% soon, Pikachu," Ash said, "And even better, when we'll win."

"Are you sure about this, Ash?" Emma asked, "I mean, there are other Gyms you can go to, others that don't have volcano pits." Ash shook his head, "If Charizard will battle, I know I'll win. But he still won't listen to me." He sighed, "There's got to be a way."

Emma placed Togepi on the floor and it walked toward Ash and the Pikachu, as Ash finished cleaning the male mouse, "All done. How you feeling pal?" Pikachu jumped to stand up, smiling, "Pika-chu."

"Togy," Togepi said as it jumped to sit on the small chair in front of Ash. Emma chuckled as Ash looked down at Togepi. "Looks like someone wants to be cleaned up by it's father," Misty teased.

Ash ignored the redhead girl as he started to clean Togepi up with soap and water. "Feels good Togepi?" Emma asked. "Togepry," Togepi said in delight. "Pika-Pi, Pika, Pika-chu," Emma's Pikachu said. Ash chuckled, "Okay, you'll be next, Pikachu," he said. The female Pikachu smiled, "Pika!"

"Nice and relaxing isn't it Togepi?" Ash asked. "Togy, Togy," the Egg Pokémon said in delight. Emma crossed her arms over her chest as she watched with a small smile. "There you go," Ash said as he was drying Togepi with a towel. As he was finishing up, the ground started to shake.

The kids looked around in confusion and turned to the cave. "What's going on?" Emma asked as Ash took Togepi into his arms, and stood up. They looked to the door to see Blaine running in.

"Something's up with the volcano!" he said as he ran past the kids, toward the cave. "I think we should follow," Brock said. Ash handed Togepi to Emma, and the kids ran to follow Blaine.

Blaine pushed the doors opened and gasped. The kids ran in after him and were hit with a cold air. "Look who it is," Brock said in annoyance. Emma looked forward to see Team Rocket on the other side, Jessie and James were throwing freezing missiles all around.

"What's going to happen to this Gym if it will be filled with ice?" Blaine asked as he stared at the frozen walls. "Freezing all this hot rocks will send a giant chain reaction deep inside the volcano!"