Chapter 3

Matthew's P.O.V

I am woken by a noise coming from down the hall. I check the clock. 2 am. I must have fallen asleep packing, but I'm almost done anyway. I step into the hall and I hear the noise again. It's coming from Lillian's room.

I head over to her room and open the door. On the bed I see Lillian whimpering as she tosses and turns. I sigh knowing that her nightmares have returned.

"Lilly?" I say as I gently shake her. She eyes snap open and she sits up then cries into her hands. I try to hug her but she flinches when I touch her. She looks up and realizes it's me and crashes in my arms, sobbing into my chest.

"I thought your nightmares were gone." I tell her. She calms down a little and says, "They weren't c-completely gone, b-but I d-didn't want t-to see that therapist ag-gain and I thought I was getting b-better."

I rub her back until she lets go of me and lays back down on her bed. I kiss her forehead and head back to my own room to try and get some sleep.

Not even two minutes later, Lillian shows up in my doorway in one of my dad's t-shirts that she wears to bed. "Matty?" she sniffles. "If you aren't still mad at me for earlier, do you think I could sleep in your room tonight?"

I don't say anything. Instead I slide over and pat the bed next to me. She climbs in and pulls the blanket over her shoulder. I reach out to find her tiny waist and pull her closer to me.

As Lillian fell asleep in my arms I couldn't help but wonder if I made the right decision. We need each other. Even though we fight we always end up okay.

But I can't give this up, California is my dream. I know Lillian really should stay and finish school here but without me to make sure that she won't cut and that my dad doesn't hurt her, what will happen?

Maybe she should come with me.