Chapter 23

Lillian's P.O.V

We've only been driving for 5 minutes and Alex is already asleep. I look over at Alex's aunt driving. She's beautiful. She has long black hair, green, and she's tall and slim. Alex told me she's in her fifties but she looks much younger than that.

"So..." Alex's aunt turns down the radio. "You're Alex's girlfriend?"

"His girlfriend? No I'm just his friend." I say quickly.

"Oh my bad dear. It's just the way he talks about you makes it sound that way."

"Alex said he's only mentioned me to you twice." I tell her.

"That's complete garbage. You're all he talks about."

"Oh gosh." I cover my face with my hands.

"Do you know why I flew you two over here?" She asks me.

"Um... no." because you're rich?

"After my husband died a few years ago, I was all alone. I don't have any kids or pets or close friends that live near me. Alex would visit me all the time and we would just talk and play board games and he would keep me company. I think Alex liked coming because you know how his parents ignore him a lot. I think he just wanted somebody to talk to."

Poor Alex. We weren't really close friends a few years ago. "So what happened?" I ask her.

"He would stop coming some weekends. I didn't think much of it but he started coming less and less."

"Why?"

"When I asked him why he said it was because he had met a girl. You."

Me? "But I met him in sixth grade."

"I think he really got to know you. He said it was almost like meeting a new person."

"Sorry I'm the reason he doesn't see you that much anymore." I tell her.

"No it's completely okay. I love that he's happy and when he talks about you his whole face lights up. That's why I thought you were his girlfriend."

I look back at Alex. "Don't get me wrong Alex is really sweet and I'd love to be his girlfriend, but I've seen so many bad breakups. Alex is my only friend and if we broke up we wouldn't be friends anymore."

"No pressure. If you're friends, you're friends."

Alex's P.O.V

I wake up from my short nap and hear Lillian and aunt Kris talking. I keep my eyes closed and listen.

"No it's completely okay. I love that he's happy and when he talks about you his whole face lights up. That's why I thought you were his girlfriend." says my aunt Kris.

"Don't get me wrong Alex is really sweet and I'd love to be his girlfriend, but I've seen so many bad breakups. Alex is my only friend and if we broke up we wouldn't be friends anymore." says Lillian.

She wants to be my girlfriend? I knew it.