Chapter 8

Alex's P.O.V

As I'm leaning in, wanting to kiss Lillian, I see that she's not doing anything. She isn't leaning in, but she's also not backing away. I'm inches away from her, when my cell phone rings.

I check the caller ID and it's my mom. "I should take this." I say to her. "Mom?" I speak into the phone. "Oh I'm at Lillian's house... No I'm staying the night... I'll just ride the school bus tomorrow with Lillian... Okay yeah love you too, bye." I hang up the the phone and have an awkward silence with Lillian.

"So..." I look at her.

"Let's just go to bed." she says emotionless. She stands up and walks out of the room. She comes back a few seconds later in her pajamas with extra blankets and pillows, and starts setting up the bed.

3 Minutes Earlier...

Lillian's P.O.V

Is Alex trying to kiss me? Should I lean in? I don't know if I want to kiss him, I mean we're friends. He's so close to me oh god make up your mind. Wait, his phone is ringing.

"I should take this." He says to me. "Mom?" He speaks into the phone. "Oh I'm at Lillian's house... No I'm staying the night... I'll just ride the school bus tomorrow with Lillian... Okay yeah love you too, bye." He hangs up and doesn't say anything else. I guess neither of us know what to say.

"So..." Alex finally speaks. I can't talk to him.

"Let's just go to bed." I need an excuse to leave the room. I get up to get some blankets and pillows for him. I stop by the laundry room and grab one of my dad's old t-shirts.

When I get back, Alex is still sitting in the same position from when I left. I decided to set up the bed.

Alex takes off his shirt and pants so he's in just his boxers. When did he get so muscular? I spent pretty much the whole summer with him, I don't think he works out.

Have I really been so obsessed over my stupid problems that I didn't notice my best friend is changing? I guess it's good I didn't kiss him.

That's all he is. My best friend.