Chapter 4 : Order

ORDER

J A C E   E V E R S

Junior Year

REGRET for letting his sister go to that party alone was all Jace felt ever since that day. He denied all the rumours even when Scarlett confessed to them all. Senior Jennifer had got Scarlett trapped in a game that had no exit and Jace tried everyday to get his sister back. As time moved forwards, she would miss more dinners and refuse to hang out with Jace or his friends. It became more common of her to ignore him in school rather than smile the least.

Completing his morning shift at the family bakery, he left a text to Scarlett about how she needed to stop bailing on morning chores. "Your twins not here again." Tutted one of the workers. Frowning, Jace nodded then grabbed some food for his school lunch and left the bakery annoyed. 

"Not in today?" Nova already knew the answer but each time he held onto the hope that Jace would blame his down mood on being left behind rather than blatantly forgotten. Daena greeted them at school, a sad smile in an attempt to cheer up Jace but the only thing that could would be getting drunk after school. 

School dragged more than usual today. 

Jace scowled at the boys who would rate his sister. He'd been sat in the principals office for the millionth time for beating up a jerk who claimed Scarletts' neck hickey. Everyone knew the person who gave it to her really...Parker Davis. 

"Mr Evers we are going to have to call your parents in." The principal sighed dialling the familiar number. On the second ring did Jace's father pick the phone up. They'd be on their way to give Jace a scolding then go pack for a business trip again. Not once did Jace try to stop them from leaving but this time he wanted to. Jace wanted his parents back. He wanted the evening meals with his sister back. 

"Afternoon." His father greeted the principal. More paper-cuts on his hand from long hours of locked up in his study working. 

"Mr Evers, you are aware that Jace has been a common visitor of this office and his grades are dropping to new lows. May I suggest bringing his mother in this time?" Jace looked to his father pleading for him not to call. Jace knew where his mother was today and if she picked up their marriage would definitely be over.

"My wife appears to be busy right now." Jace released a breath of relief as he watched his father decline the voicemail option.  "Can we just pay you some money and both be on our way?"

"Very well sir." 

They left the office losing more money than last time. When no sign of movement from anybody in the hallway became clear, his father pushed him against the lockers holding his collars. "You awful boy did I not raise your right?!" He shouted, Jace refused to meet his eyes. "Dont come back until its after dinner! Do you understand?!" His father banged his fist on the locker next to him then turned away sorting out his suit. Jace braced himself in time for a slap to burn his skin. 

"Dont cry my boy." His father said bringing him into a hug after noticing Jace hold back tears. "I have to hurt you so you dont go around busting your knuckles up. Dont tell your mother okay?" Once his father left Jace leaned against the locker cursing himself for not being manly enough. He kicked the locker breathing heavily. When he faced away from the lockers he headed to the boys bathroom to wash his face before heading to lunch. Missing important lessons once again due to his sister...

Another fight video posted on social media of Jace. 

Another swig of vodka burning his throat.