Chapter 11 : Build Me A Tower, I'll Make It A Castle

BUILD ME A TOWER, I'LL MAKE IT A CASTLE

S C A R L E T T   E V E R S 

Junior Year

TO take a day out of school was like an elephant riding a bike, at least to Scarlett it was absolutely unexpected. She watched from her classroom window every morning the wheels of her brothers new car speeding away from school. Always fifteen minutes after first registration then he would walk out without a car in the world. Occasionally, Nova followed her brother out of the gates and somehow they strolled back into school looking perfectly normal. 

Her eyes followed Jaces' car zooming away. Scarlett sighed turning back to her teacher and picked up a blue inked pen to begin writing notes.

:::

Scarlett carried her books to her locker, she hesitantly placed them neatly inside then turned to the person standing on the other side of her locker door. He leaned against someones locker staring Scarlett directly in the eyes. 

"Can I help you Parker?" She didn't know where all this confidence came from but Scarlett smiled anyway, hoping her crush wouldn't be so offended.

"I never thanked you for dinner."

"Dont bother, you didn't tell me I was paying anyway." Genuine annoyance radiated off her as she held her locker door "That all?"

"Scar, are you troubling Parker?" Oh how Scarlett could wipe that gorgeous smirk off Parker's face as he wrapped Jennifer into a side hug.

"Yes she is." He had the audacity to keep that smirk.

"That bill was exceptionally long Scar, did you really have to order so much?" Jennifer's words hit her hard. Scarlett softly closed her locker door ignoring their snickering. Jennifer was probably in a mood or something, she wouldn't put Scarlett down like that when she knew how much Scarlett liked Parker.Would she?

"I had a salad and water only." Scarlett muttered.

"Better," Jennifer said leaning up to kiss Parker's cheek. Scarlett turned away, she fought the urge to bawl her eyes out because she was stronger than that, as she paced down the corridor, someone grabbed her arm to swivel her around "Calm down Scar."

"You kissed him in front of me." Scarlett whispered angrily.

"Hes my friend babe. If I can get closer to him then he would care about you more." Jennifer explained and instantly Scarlett felt angry at herself for thinking that Jennifer would ever betray her like that "I mean he did take you out for dinner and that was because of me." 

A feeling of relief washed over her and Scarlett felt a lot better when she saw Ashley strutting down the hall towards them "Ash!" 

"Hey guys."

"Why so late Ashley?" Questioned Jennifer crossing her arms. It was weird that Ashley would come late to school considering her and Scarlett used to meet early in the school bathrooms before. 

"I had things to do."  Scarlett took note oh how her best friend waved off their conversation whilst playing with her ring, something Ashley did when she was nervous or hiding something.

"Like..." Obviously Jennifer did not understand signs of Ashley and had to demand a reason.

"Whats it to you?" Ashley raised her tone catching some surrounding attention. Scarlett chuckled awkwardly to ease the tension that clearly hadn't left since that day at Ashley's house.