Chapter 34 : There's Blood In The Sky

THERE'S BLOOD IN THE SKY

J A C E  E V E R S

Senior Year

NOVA squatted beside him less experienced than Jace who did not whack his face with bush leaves. "Do we seriously have to do this Jace?" Nova asked jumping up at a branch pricking his butt cheek. Jace sighed yanking Nova back to his level and the two of them sat patiently waiting for ten minuted before Nova startled him again by whispering loudly in the quiet evening "Jaceeeee can we go?"

"Nova just wait." Jace hissed flicking Novas forehead. 

"Did you just flick me?" Nova gasped flicking Jace on his forehead. Scrunching up his nose, Jace mimicked his actions which lead to Nova doing the same thing but either Jace nor Nova attempted to swat the other away. Soon leading to to a game where both of them took it in turns to flick each other on the forehead for the most time until one of them backs away being called 'flicky-chicky'. 

Jace was about to brace himself for a forehead flick when Nova jumped up. Instantly Jace shot to his feet watching unsure as Nova patted his pockets for his ringing phone. "Hello?" Nova answered his phone as Jace leaned in to listen even though he wouldn't be able to hear anything from his end. Five minutes later it did so and Jace whined as he already knew what Nova was about to say. They had a stare down which resulted in a compromise and Nova informing his father that he would be staying an extra thirty minutes which was enough for the reason Jace dragged him out here late at night. "Okay. Okay...okay...okay look mother mother I have to- I gotta- no sig- bye." Nova weened his way out the conversation crouching back into his position. Jace squatted beside him and they waited five more minutes. "Jace..."

"Look." Jace whisper shouted and the two watched as into the dark sky a tiny red stream screamed its way up followed by another six red and green ones. They watched in awe as another sequence of fireworks whizzed into the air before a blanket of silence lapped over them both. "Now follow me." He trudged his way through a path caved between living nettles which were eager to sting his legs that were protected by jeans. Leading the way, he checked behind if Nova was following and bumped right into him knocking his head on Novas. "Ugh just walk slower but keep up." He commanded. A push from Nova almost made him lose his footing but Jace stifled his own laughter as Nova began singing a nursery rhyme; Humpty Dumpty. 

Finally reaching where they had spent ages trekking to, Jace hauled himself over the make-shift fence ready to meet Milo when he heard Nova whine behind him and a thud of his best friend hit the ground hard. This time his laughter pooled out as he helped a groaning Nova stand upright. They walked past stalls that were closed for the night due to a curfew after what happened last year. 

Shivering in the cold, Milo stood where he said he would be and Jace found himself embracing him. Partly because he had been a terrible friend to Milo. They broke apart when Milo patted his back which was enough for Jace to know that he was separated from the events, no matter how many times his mind told him it was his fault. To get a pat was enough, Milo only ever hugged Courtney. Jace listened to every instruction that Milo gave, he recited it as much as he could and followed step one; immediately brightening their surroundings, the Ferris wheel burst to life. Jace turned to thank Milo but found that he was already walking away "Dont you want to stay?!" He called but the figure continued walking off. "Alright Nova, its just us."

Much to Jace's confusion, Nova held three beers in his hands with a pack of cigarettes in his mouth. "Mwore por uz." He commented as his shoes echoed against the steel ramp they walked across to the first seats. Jace ran back to the controls letting it begin then jogged back before the wheel started spinning slowly. He pulled down the bar for safety and took a sip of his beer whilst Nova caged the cigarette between his teeth, lighting it.