Chapter 6 : Forgotten Message

Forgotten Message

J A C E E V E R S

Junior Year

EVERYDAY Jace messaged his new friend Candace. The girl he helped at the party. It started off when he received a message to thank him for his actions and from there they carried on talking. He read another message, smirking at how egoistic he sounded. Candace came from a rival school so Jace could not tell his best friends of this new friendship and neither she. Although according to Candace and what she had said, she appeared to be a nerd that went to the party in order to break free from her social non-existent status.

Jace payed so much attention to their conversations that he did not realise these past few days that his sister had been slipping away and so were his grades.

Candace set him a funny text to which Jace laughed out loud in his lesson disrupting the class. Some people were shocked as he hardly showed any signs of emotions unless it was with his friends. "Jace Evers leave my classroom." Scowled the teacher impatiently.

"I didn't do anything." Jace argued back

"You're on a final warning." The teacher pointed "Dont say a word or I will have you heading straight for the principals office."

Angrily grabbing his things Jace left the classroom displaying his middle finger at the teacher. He jogged all the way to Novas class. Upon reaching his best friends class, he looked through the glass to see where his best friend sat, signalling Nova to leave.

"I need to pee miss!" Nova announced suddenly.

"Break is in half an hour."

"My bladder could burst miss." Nova cried winking not so subtly at Jace from his seat. Jace chuckled to himself at his friends stupidity, especially when his teacher stepped into eye-view to wave at him. Waving awkwardly back, Jace turned away from Novas class to go to Daena's next.

She managed to fake an injury to excuse herself from the entire lesson.

They strolled down the corridor uncomfortably. Normally skipping lessons was normal but now everything appeared much more off, especially since all Jace could think about was his next reply to Candace. "Jace."

"Yeah Daena." They stopped walking, he leaned his back against a wall facing her. The sight of her standing there, quirked eyebrow, waiting for an explanation reminded him of their friendship. "I know I've not been around lately."

"Not around?" She scoffed "You haven't been talking to any of us!"

"Daena Im sorry, I just met this girl-" He tried to explain.

"You met a girl."

Daena crossed her arms annoyed, Jace could not comprehend why she got so agitated "Yeah, not dating her." His words hurt him more but Daena's mood lightened when he clarified that. She carried on walking urging him to follow in which he did and wondered if it was simply just her monthly.

:::

He fought the urge to reply to her message, keeping his eyes trained on the movie playing for his friends. Nova currently asleep in Daenas lap with his legs stretched onto Jace. Daena chuckled when Nova rolled over too far onto the floor.

"I dont know how he does that." She chuckled as they watched Nova adjust his position back into a deep sleep.

"Novas a new breed." Jace said checking the time on his phone. He felt a presence next to him and looked up to see Daena edging closer to him, she rested her head on his shoulder for the rest of the movie. He attempted not to wake her sleeping figure at the end of the movie and he achieved that at the cost of not texting Candace back.

"I know you're awake Daena." He said "You snore like a pig." She glared at him re-positioning herself.

"I was trying to sleep." She snarled getting up "Having a smoke, you coming?"

"Nova wont like that in his house." Jace replied hiding the fact he didn't want to.

"Nova is asleep, we will go outside. Stop being a coward and have one." She chuckled to ease the dig, grabbing his Jace found himself following after her outside.

"Forgot my phone." Jace whispered.

"Leave it." Daena said.

So he did.

Jace definitely did not have one cigarette that day.