Chapter 36 : Home

HOME

J A C E E V E R S

Senior Year

VICTIM to what exactly?

Jace didn't feel like a victim of anything, he felt like a user and a terrible brother. He'd shut his own sister out when she chose to leave him when in reality, he should've stayed. After everything that happened with Scarlett and the psychic hut, Jace had been on edge for multiple weeks. He went into a mode where school came first. Education before problems. The bakery also played a major role in his new lifestyle. Jace drowned himself in work; whether it was for school or for the bakery, he always did something. Nights lead to more migraines but he didn't care, Jace needed to do something. He wanted to.

People started accepting this after they couldn't get through to him. No way was Jace going to allow his friends to suffer or worry at his expense. Milo couldn't take it either, he left a note explaining that he would be travelling with a few guys from the orphanage. They were going to live wherever they could because they wanted to get out of this town. Leave all the drama. He only said goodbye to everyone through a note. But Jace would not pay any attention to that, he would shove it into his draw after showing Jane and Courtney. He would push it aside and mourn it in the night.

Was Milo ever thankful for how much Jace and the others did for him?

Jane knocked on the door entering cautiously as if he was scribbling a recipe to kill instead of answers for a trigonometry test. "Can we talk?"

"Yeah." He sighed knowing that eventually this cycle of work would have to make room for people. Jace pushed his current occupation of papers away to show his dedication to this conversation.

"You know Milo's a guy who likes change. Moving around and all." He nodded remembering the time Milo disappeared for a month because he was worried they were going to leave him first. "Courtney wants to move away too."

Jace leaned forwards rubbing his eyes almost to see things clearly for the first time in a while. "What?"

"She was the closest to Milo, shes hurt that he left a note instead of dealing with his problems face on. We've worked here for soo long Jace, we need to go do things like live a life somewhere else." Jane reached across the table, Jace held her hand knowing this was the most sensitivity Jane would show without Courtney being here.

He squeezed her hand for reassurance "I understand Jane. I love you guys so much like your my mothers." They laughed reminiscing about all the time Jane and Courtney scolded Jace and Milo. "If you need to go then go. Im not going to stop two of my favourite people."

"You know its not just a few people, right?" Jace understood, he obviously didn't understand fully because he wasn't in their position. It just sucked that people couldn't let others love who they want and that reason made his friends have to leave. "We're leaving as soon as possible."

Standing up, Jace stretched his arms out for Jane, she journeyed over ad snuggled into his hug. He kissed the top of her head wanting to thank her for everything "I know Jace." She said already reading his mind as they pulled apart "We'll call you."

Jane smiled that smile which meant she was holding back tears, placing another kiss on her forehead, Jace walked her out of the shop not uttering a word as Courtney stood by her new car. "Im guessing you guys have been planning this for a while."