chapter nine

Chapter nine - A friend in Need

'The tiger and the lion might be more powerful...but the wolf does not perform in the circus.'

●・○・●・○・●・○・●

On the twentieth of September nineteen seventy five the first full moon, of the school year, was to come around. Remus was nervous, to say the least. This was the first full moon where his friends wanted to put forth their idea; of becoming animagus to help him.

Shakily sipping on his decaffeinated, Darjeeling, two teaspoons of sugar but no creamer tea, Remus couldn't stop thinking about all of the worst possible scenarios tonight could bring.

At exactly fifty-one minutes past seven this evening the immense pain he felt every month would occur.

They could die, and it would all be your fault.

Remus tried to shake this image of a petrifying grey wolf, blood oozing from its fang-filled mouth, from his head. Three bodies, each ripped open, staring up at the monster with lifeless glazed-over eyes.

Instead, the scar-cluttered boy focused his attention on his friends that sat around him.

His gaze landed on Peter, he's a kind lad, always trying to help those he cares for. Remus, did, however, have to suppress a chuckle as he watched the boy. Unlike Sirius and James who were fit from playing sports all summer, then of cause James on the Quidditch team, Peter is so unfit he breaks into a sweat just chewing his lunch.

That made Remus even more nervous.

What Remus would do, right now, to have some mint ice-cream with pieces of Reese's peanut butter cups in it.

But no.

Instead, Remus looked at his tattered watch, the coolness the metal had against his skin compared to its leather strap. Looking at the time Remus gulped; four minutes past seven.

Glancing up at his friends, Remus began to stand from the bench. "I need to go," Remus muttered.

"We'll hold Snivellus off," Peter spoke, turning to face the Slytherin table where a greasy haired boy sat staring at his friends, "Nosy bastard."

Remus nodded his head as he began walking out of the hall, they could die, Remus continued as he looked at his watch again ten minutes past seven, forty-one minutes.

It would all be your fault.

Remus finally made it to the hospital wing, glad to see that Madam Pomfrey was waiting for him. Giving the young boy a small smile Pomfrey crabbed a coat, before walking over to where the boy was stood - by the entrance to the hospital wing.

"You ready to go then?" Pomfrey said in her soft, angelic voice.

Remus nodded his head- afraid that if he spoke he would show his fear.

The two walked in silence across the school grounds, it was a damp day in Scotland. Fog filled the air making it hard to see more than ten feet in front of you, it reminded Remus of a horror film when you see the main character walking to their almost ultimate doom.

Madam Pomfrey stunned the Whomping Willow, giving time for the two to pass through without being trampled by the vicious tree.

Following the teacher down the dimly lit path that leads to the shrieking shack the boy glanced at the time seven thirty-four.

Once they arrived at the Shrieking Shack, Madam Pomfrey made sure the boy was okay, before leaving him alone.

She didn't want the be there when the boy turned into a monster, it was plainly obvious for the boy to see, he couldn't blame her though. He didn't want her to be their, he didn't want to be their himself.

Remus tried to busy his mind, in hope for him to forget - and hopefully miss - his transformation (not like it worked like that, though.)

This meant that the scar-cluttered boy busied his mind with his undercover job of writing for the daily prophet with the undercover name as Isaac Lumberton. The writing was something the boy enjoyed to do, when writing your mind travels to a whole new world.

Using a single quill and parchment you can chase your furthest dreams, you can do anything your heart desires, there are no limits when you are writing; you're free.

Perhaps that's why Remus loves to write so much, he's so trapped in this world. Seen as a monster, feeling the need to hide from everyone, yet with a few words; he can feel free.

Hearing a bang from the entrance, Remus quickly glanced down at his watch. Seven forty-eight, Remus had hoped his friends have forgotten about their plan or chickened out at last moment.

However, at last minute, two boys and one stag came stumbling into the room beaming smiles on their face. The stag seemed to be waving its antlers - almost as if he was proud of them.

Of cause, after the boy's had each found out their animagus forms, James immediately stated how proud he was if his antlers. now, however, the boy - or stag - seemed to be struggling as he couldn't fit the large antlers through the door.

After several attempts, the stag finally managed to fit his unnecessarily large antlers through the door. Once again, standing proudly in the center of the room.

Sirius opened his arms wide as he saw the boy, "How are you doing, Remus?" Sirius questioned as he jumped down onto the bed, coughing and waving his hand in front of his face when the dust became unsettled and floated in the air around him.

Remus, however, didn't have a chance to answer the boy. As when he was about to the immense pain commenced, he knew all too well what was happening.

Pain seared through his abdomen better than a branding iron, as he fell down the floor. His mind conceding to the torment, unable to bring a thought to completion. Without meaning to his body curled into something fetal. A scream of agony escaped his lips.

Soon enough, after several moments of searing pain, razor-like claws began to grow. Their constant growth was necessary, for any free wolf, to offset their wear tear and the scraping kept them sharp enough to be useful when taking down prey. Without a prey to be taken down the young werewolf had to scratch and tear at its self, along with the walls that trapped him.

His friends took the sight of his pain before the remaining two transformed into their animagus forms. Shocked to see how much pain the young boy suffered once a month.

They watched the transformation, the skin ripped on his back turning a murky grey and stretching over his snapping and reshaping bones.

After several moments the transformation was complete and a werewolf stood amid three of his friends - disguised as animals - sniffing the air with its upturned shaped snout.

One of the three friends gulped, another stood tall whilst the final one stood a step towards the confused beast.

●・○・●・○・●・○・●
Published 23/06/19 21:53
Edited 11/10/20 18:06

●・○・●・○・●・○・●Published 23/06/19 21:53Edited 11/10/20 18:06