23•The bouquet of Roses

●・○・●・○・●・○・● 'The more your praise and celebrate your life, the more in life there is to celebrate

●・○・●・○・●・○・● 'The more your praise and celebrate your life, the more in life there is to celebrate.'
●・○・●・○・●・○・●

Daniel was a blend of excited and nervous, to say the least, he was excited because it was his girlfriends birthday. Well- he says girlfriend- he hadn't asked her yet but he planned how he was going to do it. That's what he was nervous about.

Today was the day.

He held a collection of roses that bloomed, alongside a few pansies and asters, like bullet blood-drops. Heart racing and legs trembling, he held the bouquet tightly in his hands. Entwining his fingers through the black strands of hair like pools of the purest ink. Gripping on to in frustration, Daniel looked at himself in the mirror.

"I can do this," Daniel murmured, untangling his hand from his hair. "I can do this."

Feeling the impractical eye roll from behind him, Daniel turned around. "If you stay here repeating that same line one more time," Lee stated, slowly shuffling through the parchment of assignments he had completed. "You're going to miss her outside her common room. You'll have to ask her in front of the whole school if so."

Taking a deep breath, Daniel nodded. "You're right."

"I'm always right." Leonard spoke, placing his work on the bed beside him before standing up, "But be warned," Lee spoke, stepping forward towards his best mate, "You mess with my sister you're just asking for me to punch you across your peppy little face."

Daniel gulped but nodded in agreement. Shakily straightening his shirt, Daniel maneuvered around him before heading towards the dormitory door.

The trek across the school seemed to take years, for Daniel. But as he neared the Gryffindor common room he could feel the pounding of his heart. All the reasons not to do this came flooding into his mind as if his body chemistry just sent them a blanket invitation. He could feel the soft panic grow. It would fade if he backed away, but then he could miss out on starting a life with somebody he could see himself making a future with.

She's just Perfect.

He took the final few steps towards the portrait that would open to the Gryffindor common room and found refuge leaning against a wall.

Students continued to leave the portrait, each fawning over the boy who stood beside the entrance with a bouquet of blood-stained roses. Most likely they had guessed what was there for.

You would be a fool if you didn't notice the amount of time the two were spending together- yet it was never made official.

Although Daniel had waited for over half an hour, he had not once seen the coiffured golden strands of hair exit the common room. He had asked a few students- ones that he had seen Kefira speak to around school, occasionally.

Over an hour after standing outside the common room, Daniel began to grow impatient. His nerves pounding in his ears as he paced around in small circles. Had somebody warned her that he was outside, and she was taking refuge in the common room?

Daniel had to shake his head to clear away the pestering thoughts that began to invade his mind.

The Latina boy was about to give up when the portrait opened one last time- four boys came parading out, beaming smiles on each of their faces. But coming to a halt when they saw Daniel stood outside, watching them all.

"Waiting for someone, Brandel?" James asked, unaware of the jealousy radiating through his best mate as he saw him waiting for Kefira.

"Is Kefira still in there?" Daniel asked, a small smile on his face. Unlike most people, James Potter wasn't afraid to speak to people of different houses. He wasn't afraid of what his friends would think of him being kind to a rivalry. He was brave; like a true Gryffindor.

"I think she's ill." James spoke again, looking through the open portrait, "Why?"

"It's her birthday." Daniel spoke, holding up the roses higher, "Is it okay if I go in?"

James shrugged, moving to the side to allow the boy to pass him. "I'm sure if you shout her name, Lily or Marlene will come down to you."

Daniel looked at him questioningly, why was James Potter being so nice to him?

"Or we could just levitate you up the stairs." Peter spoke in, shrugging, "I've become quite good at the levitation spell, finally. I levitated a cow into my neighbours garden in the holiday's, the ministry thought it was my mother. She received a rather nasty letter of the ministry a week later."

Daniel let out a laugh before shaking his head, "It's okay. I'd rather keep my neck in one piece,"

Daniel wouldn't say it out loud, but he would like to know why Sirius Black was staring the boy down. But given the fact that Remus was giving him a look of pity, he decided that the boy was just weird.

Daniel gave thanks to the four boy's as he walked past them, entering the Gryffindor common room. He had only entered here once or twice before, Lee had to be with him the first two times and now he was here alone- when he was not drunk.

Because the third time Daniel had entered the Gryffindor common room he had been drunk. It was after he had thrown himself a self-pity party in the Room of Requirements. He then happened to stumble across the Gryffindor common room as a bunch of students was entering. He then pronounced his love to Kefira Howendale in front of the entirety of Gryffindor, only leaving after being escorted out by Professor McGonagall. (Whilst shouting love poems over his shoulder.)

The news spread like wild fire. Daniel Brandel; the love proclaimer.

It was how he remembered it, (although he did cringe to himself as he saw where he had stood on the table to pronounce his love) the ruby red walls glimmering with the golden banners that spread across the eternity of the room. It was much more cozy with the reds and gold, that the Ravenclaw common room's with the bright blues and bronze. The red wasn't the colour of blood, not the vivid red of the freshly spilled, but more the browning red of old blood most likely because the walls and furniture had aged over its years of lying around.

Daniel glided across the common room, eyes scanning the pattern of the carpet in hope to avoid eye contact.

"Daniel?" A voice speaking his name is what brought the Latina boy's attention from the carpet to meet the green-eyes of Alice Fortescue. "What are you doing in here?"

"James let me in." Daniel spoke, nodding his head towards the portrait entrance, "I-uh came to see Kefira."

Alice's eyes fell down to the body hand where the blood-red roses where tightly clasped before she held a hand to her mouth, in an attempt to hide her forming smile. "You weren't!" Alice let out a squeal, one that made the Ravenclaw rather nervous as he watched the girl, "Was you going to finally ask her out?"

It was such a simple question- one that shouldn' of being as hard as it was for Daniel to answer, however, he soon found himself stumbling over his words as he looked at the Gryffindor. "Uh-maybe...." Daniel trailed, eyes flickering to the roses he held tight in his hand, "Why, is it a bad idea?"

Alice gasped, placing her hands on each of his shoulders- forcing him to look at her. "No! It's not a bad idea at all!" She exclaimed, dropping her hands from his shoulder after excessively shaking them, making the boy feel dizzy.  "It's just.... maybe not the best timing. She's ill." Daniel noticed how her tone dropped as she mentioned Kefira being sick.

Daniel nodded in understanding. He had found out about the girl's illness in their fourth year. It was only now, that he was closer to the girl, did he realize how bad it was.

Little did he know it would only get worse.