Chapter Twenty Two

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Thanks for dropping me off." Jae said as I pulled up in front of his campus.

"So you're really meeting Ji, right?" I questioned and he looks back at me with a frown.

"Yes, I am." He enunciated every word to get his point across.

"Because if you're meeting Maya, you can just be honest—"

"Areum, please." He cut me off. "I just got discharged yesterday, I don't have the energy to argue with you." He said through the window as my grip on the steering wheel tightened.

I swallowed thickly, stopping myself from questioning him further. I allowed my head to drop into a single nod.

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" He said, backing away from the car and all I do is smile at him.

He's going to see Ji. He's not cheating. I feel a dull pain linger at the back of my throat as I tried convincing myself. Trying to believe that I was good enough for him. That he didn't need someone else to make him feel good.

I breathed out, throwing my head back as I tried getting all the thoughts that gnawed against my brain to roll it's way out.

"Everything's fine." I said as I looked before me. But a part of me wished it wasn't. As horrible as it sounds, a part of me wanted Jae to be everything I wished he wasn't just so I wouldn't feel as guilty as I did.

Talking to another man behind his back, planning to leave him for this man. The guilt was eating me up. "Everything's fine." I breathed out once more, emptying my head as I started my car.

I drove up to my house where I see Aera running out, a dress draped over her and her face made up, like she's ready for a photoshoot. Her lips a blinding red with her hair done up. A basket hung from her hands as she walked towards her car but before she could get in I stopped her.

"Where are you going?" I asked and she turned to me, eyes wide almost as though she was caught in the midst of doing something wrong.

"I'm going to see Taehyung." She let out softly, a subtle smile playing on her scarlet lips.

"Don't you think it's a little weird?" I asked and she cocked her head to the side, resembling a confused puppy. "The both of you broke up not too long ago, then you go and plan this carnival thing and now you're going to see him." I stated and she chuckled, waving her hand before me.

Her laughter got on my nerves, the condescending tone in her voice setting me off. "Taehyung wants me." She said and I feel my gut twist. "So I'm just making things easier for him." She gave me a wry smile, twirling her hair around her fingertip.