Chapter Thirty Seven

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

I sat in silence in the living room, not really grasping the situation. My father sat in front of me, a phone clad in his right hand while the left covered his face. Tears sneakily making it's way out as it dripped onto the ground. 

I didn't know what to do or say. I wasn't even sure about how I was feeling. My memories of my mother were rather vague, she left more than a decade ago, my memories of her fading together with the time.

A part of me was broken, but it felt like I had lost something I never had in the first place. The broken piece of me had always felt broken. 

Even though unhealthy, I managed to learn how to disregard my feelings in situations like this. Aera, on the other hand, always had a hard time dealing with pain. She was closer to Mother after all.

 But my father was my main concern.

"We should file a lawsuit." I broke the silence and my father looked up at me, his expression blank. "This was a fault on the Safe Place. How could she be using right under their-"

"Areum," My sister spoke out from behind me. "Now's not the time for your babbling." She said through gritted teeth, her breath getting stuck in her throat as she swallowed a cry.

"I'm sorry," I quietened myself, giving in to her as I feel guilt washing its way back to me. Taehyung had already told her about the annulment right before getting the call from our father about mother's passing. 

All this on her wedding day, I couldn't even begin to comprehend the pain she must be feeling.

"A lawsuit will be pointless," my father finally spoke out rubbing his face in frustration. "They can easily drop the claims and instead turn it on me. The company could take a huge hit too." He let out as he stared at the phone, waiting impatiently for the call.

All I did was nod, feeling like a stranger in my own home at this point. Finally his phone lit up, the ringing tone piercing through the sombre atmosphere. He answered the call, a little hesitantly.

"We'll be there." Was all he said right after hanging up. Father wiped away a stray tear as he looked up at Aera. "It was the hospital, we can go see her and say our goodbyes." He choked up a little, looking away as he stood up.