Chapter Twenty Three

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Areum, what's going on?" Jae asked, taking off his black coat as he set it on the couch.

"I know I said to forget about everything but I can't and I'm sorry." I started off and I instantly hear him sigh, throwing his head back as he pressed his eyes shut in frustration.

The action caused the skin of his neck to be exposed and I notice something.

"Jaesun." I let out, my tone low as I tried staying calm. The moment he hears me call him by his full name, he lowered his head slowly as his eyes met mine.

I take in a deep breath and exhaled before speaking, "what's that on your neck?" I asked and his eyes widened for a solid second, almost as though I had caught him but he regains his composure.

"This?" He rubs against the purplish red spot on his neck, acting like it was an itch. "I think I'm allergic to something, but forget that. What did you want to talk about?" He asked, desperately trying to change the topic.

My eyes trailed down to his feet where I notice them tapping against the ground, acting out his anxiousness.

"You met Maya, didn't you?" I asked as I feel my throat tighten. I tried my best not to let my emotions get to me, but failed miserably as my eyes stung, tears brimming my eyelids.

"Areum, I—"

"I don't want to hear it." I stuck my hand out in front of him as I stopped him. My chest began heaving as I took in deep breaths, trying to suppress my feelings.

"Areum," He called out softly but I don't let my guard down this time.

"I can't do this." I let out weakly, shaking my head as I stared at the ground. I didn't dare meet his gaze because I knew if I did, I'd break.

"I can't keep breaking myself to try and make you happy Jaesun." I buried my face in the palm of my hands as I hid my cheeks that were now tear stained.

"I'm broken on the ground, yet I'm still trying to fix you." I finally look up at him. "And I can't do it anymore." I choke up on my words as the tears overflowed my eyes, running down my cheeks.

"Areum, I swear. She meant nothing." He reaches out to grab me but I push against him.

"Don't!" I yelled through gritted teeth, moving away from his body but he still approached. "We're done, Jaesun." I tried opening the door, wanting him to leave.

"Areum, please just listen." Jaesun grabbed either sides of me, trying to get me listen to him but I try to fight his grip.

We end up in a struggle as he tried to keep my in his arms but I didn't want to feel the littlest touch of his. "Jaesun, let go!" I scream out, close to hysterical as his grip on me tightens.