Chapter 49

Kally's P.O.V

Today is the day Lauren moves up to senior year. I didn't fill in for school today. I had a substitute fill in for me so I can help Lauren's parents set up the party for her. Her mother is sweet. Told me it was very kind of me to take off the last day of work to help out. Her father said he's glad I acknowledged that Lauren is a good kid. Which of course she is. What isn't there to love about her?

I hang up a purple banner as it's her favorite color. Her parents hire a DJ who just arrived now. Lauren's father addresses him where to set up everything. We're lucky today was a beautiful day. It was already one in the afternoon. The school had half a day on the last day of school. Lauren should be home soon.

I heard a car beep then I walked to the front of the yard. Chad is back with a couple of bags in his hands. I suppose they're gifts for Lauren for graduating.

"Need a hand?" I ask with a smile my hands on my hips.

Chad chuckles, "I think I got it." He meets me standing in front of me. "Lauren here yet?"

"Not yet but hurry outback. We want to shout congratulations." I say in a whisper as if Lauren would pop up any minute. I walk to the back in a hurry as does Chad. He greets everyone then sets the gifts on the table.

"When will she be her-" I stop talking when her dad puts his finger over his mouth pointing to the back door. She's here.

We all kneel down to the grass waiting for her to appear. Shortly Lauren comes out in a floral sundress that stops above her knees. Her hair is pushed to the side while she's wearing brown sandals.

"CONGRATULATIONS!" All together we shout jumping in the air.

Lauren puts her hands over her mouth. She runs over to her parents holding them tightly. We clap and resume the party. I walk over to grab a burger then sit. I look over at Lauren who's now hugging Chad. He hands her his gifts. I take my eyes off looking at my burger. To be honest I wasn't all that hungry. Earlier I ate a turkey and cheese sandwich Lauren's mother offered to make me while I was setting up. I decided to ditch the burger.

I got up and walked over to the cooler grabbing a beer. I don't ever drink unless it's an occasion. So drinks up.

"Hey," Chad mumbles walking over to me with his hands in his pockets. Lauren is over there dancing with her dad. The DJ was rather good. It's pretty hard to find good DJ's and this one was killing it. He stands beside me watching Lauren as do I.

"She looks very happy," I tell him looking at Lauren.

"She does, doesn't she? I'm so proud of how far she's come." Chad explains. I nod in agreement.

"I wanted to talk to you." He starts then turns his body to face me making sure I have his full attention.

I have a feeling I know what he wants to talk about. I was sorta nervous and relieved to have this conversation. It was eating us both alive ignoring what was on our minds. It was time to start telling each other what we really wanted to say.

Chad shrugs his shoulders, "I know you're not over him." I let that sink in moving my eyes away from his gaze. It was true, there wasn't a day where I wasn't thinking about Dylan. "Ever since that night we kissed... I knew you didn't want to kiss me back but you still did I still don't know why you would do that. I understand that you were maybe confused- trying to see if you were still into me or whatever." Chad sighs, "But I know you love Dylan. I finally believe it, well made myself actually believe it," He laughs at that, "I kept telling myself "No she's over him," but the truth is you will never be over him. And I'm okay with that. Because I think I'm feeling something for Mandy. It's time for me to move on. Although don't get me wrong I still think your a great girl and all but..." Chad pauses moving my face to face him. He brushes his thumb along my cheek. "I think it's time we part our ways. I appreciate everything you did for Lauren but I think this is the time we say goodbye Kally Bakers."

Tears fill in my eyes and one rolls down my cheek. I feel so bad Chad senses it because he says.

"Kally, don't feel bad or anything. I swear I'm okay." He let out a short laugh. "I just want you to be happy and I'm sure you want the same for me. So, let's just enjoy tonight, and thanks for being here for the past few months but this is the last time we'll ever see each other. And I'm sure Lauren will understand." He smiles putting his hand on my shoulder.

I smile hard with tears on my face. I wipe them away before bringing him in a hug. Chad holds me by my waist tight his head resting on my shoulder.

"Thank you," I whisper. It was the only words of sympathy, meaning, I've ever said to Chad in a while. And I was glad we ended things on good terms. I always knew it, there was something good in Chad Laker.

A/N: Hope you liked this chapter:) Remember to vote and comment!!