Our day

LANI'S POV

        I walked down the small hallways of the hospital. The way to room 45C was memorized in my mind. I was there almost everday anyway. I walked down the cramped hallway with white walls and light pink tiles on the floor. My footsteps echoed. Each step seemed like an explosion in the hallways were everyone talked in hushed voices and anything loud was yelled at for.

        I turned a corner and opened a door. I walked into the cramped room. It was one of the smaller, one person rooms. The room was mostly taken up by the bed with the stinky, beighe sheets and thin as paper blankets. The rest of the room was taken up by the medical equipment set up and roll around racks. In one of the only other availabe space Connor sat in a dark brown chair.

        I looked at him. He had circles under his eyes and they were puffy and red. His clothes hadn't changed in three days and his hair was flopping in his face, not in it's normall quiff.

        "Hey." I said making my way, stepping between the small space between the bed and the wall. I sat on Connor's lap.

        He was holding his siters hand and had to resituate his hand when I sat on his lap. "Hey Lani." It seemed like almost an automatic responce. I leaned back to kiss his cheek and he seemed to barley tolerate it.

        "Con." I whined.

        He gave me a fake smiled and leaned down and kissed my cheek.

        "Con." I turned and looked at him, "You've been here to long. We need to go do something for you."

        "I need to stay here with her." He was avoiding eye contact with me and staring down at his sister's hand in his.

        I had never understood how close he was to his sister untill this happened. He spent almost all of his time in the hospital room, sitting next to his sister waiting for her to wake up. He stayed the night most of the time. He seemed to be getting alot less sleep and he only left to film videos, which weren't very good quality, but who could blame him. He spent more time with his sisters than his parents. I geuss I would be the same way if it was one of my younger brothers. I would hold onto them for dear life.

        "Connor, would she want you to stay here getting no sleep and being all sad and mopey?"

        "The doctors said she might not make it." Each word seemed so heavy. Neither of us said anything for a minute.

        "Do your parents know?" I asked quietly.

        "The doctors only told me a little bit before you came here." He said. His eyes still hadn't moved from the hands.

        "You need to tell them, and the best way is in person." I said, returning to my leadership side.

        "I don't want them to be as sad as I am." He said. I could hear him struggling with every word, and failing to hold back tears.

        He let go of Nicole's hand and wrapped me in a hug, squeazing me like I was a huge teddy bear, and sobbing. I wrapped my arms around him and layed my head ontop of his.

        "This is why we need to get you out of here." I said, trying to hold back tears myself. I was good friends with her too, and hearing that there was a good chance of her dyeing was hard for me. It ripped me apart inside, but I couldn't let it show.

        "That doesn't make sense." He mumbled.

        "Yah Connor. You need to get away from the reminders and we can go out and act like other times when we would go out and eat Panera and drink Starbucks, and go look at kittens in adoption centers without adopting any."