Prologue

Maddy's POV:

"Ah Madeline, there you are."

"You summoned me father?" (Maddy)

"Yes, yes. I want you to meet your betrothed. Duke Martin, this is my daughter Princess Madeline."

"Betrothed? Father I do not understand, Duke Martin and I are clearly not each other's pearls." (Maddy)

"That is of no matter Madeline. I am sure you two will come to love one another with time. Don't you think Duke Martin?"

"Your desire is my duty to fulfill my liege." (Martin)

I floated in the doorway, my eyes still frozen in shock as I the brief look of sorrow pass over Martin's face before he smoothly recovered. I knew that neither of us wanted to wed one another since we were not each other's pearls. However, I also knew that his position in the court was not one that was high enough that he could refuse my father's 'offer' of my hand in marriage.

"Well Madeline, come in and great your future husband properly."

"No." (Maddy)

I saw a surprised look cross over my father's face before it was replaced with a hard look of the ruler that he had become these last few decades. I turned and swam back out of the room as quickly as I could, ignoring his call for me to come back as I made it to my room. I soon found myself sobbing on my sponge bed as I heard my door slam open with the rush of a water blast. I sat up and met the cold stare of my father as he entered with his septar, my mother following silently behind him looking defeated.

"Madeline, you will go back there and apologize to Duke Martin immediately."

"I will not. You.....you cannot be serious about the marriage father. He is not my pearl, I cannot marry him." (Maddy)

"It is for the greater good of the kingdom that you marry before your 180th birthday Madeline. You have searched every ocean and sea, and every body of water on earth for you pearl. He is gone, you must accept that."

"NO! Just because he is not a merman does not mean he is not out there!" (Maddy)

"If he is not a merman it means he is not fit to rule by your side as king of our kingdom. You will marry Duke Martin by your 180th birthday. I will see it done, no matter the course that I must take."

I watched in horror as my father swam out of the room without another word, leaving my mother and myself behind in silence. I looked to her to see her eyes closed and I knew that she was crying.

"Mother I.....I cannot marry Martin. I do not want someone that is not my pearl, same as he does not want someone that is not his own pearl. Please." (Maddy)

"Oh Maddy, I'm so sorry baby. I tried so hard to reason with your father but he....he is worried about another attack like we suffered three years ago if you are not married when you take the throne as ruler. He would not listen to me, but I cannot let this happen to you my child. I have a plan."

Mother swam over to me before she took a seat next to me and whispered how I was to run away to shore tonight. I was to try to make it to Hawaii and then to Jeanie's house just a few hundred yards inland. It had been near a decade since I had seen Jeanie in person, having been keep under close watch while our kingdom was engaged with a minor war with a neighboring kingdom.

"Jeanie has always had a fondness for you, just as she has for me too I daresay. She may be the only one that can help you find your pearl. You only have to reach her before the guards catch up to you. I can give you a few extra minutes but you must swim Maddy, as fast and as hard as you can to get away."

"I can do that mother. Thank you." (Maddy)

"Do not thank me for this, when I wish I had been able to stop your father. Only find your pearl dear and find the love you deserve."