Chapter 4

Maddy's POV:

I felt tears rush out of my eyes again at the thought of marrying someone that wasn't my pearl. Martin was a fine merman but even he was not thrilled about the arranged marriage, though he was even less able to escape it as his stature in the court was but a duke.

"WHAT?!? Why would King Matthew do that to you?" (J)

"He is worried......worried about the kingdom not.....not being strong enough if I take the throne on my birthday.....unwed....I....I do not wish to marry a merman who is not my pearl...so.......I....I ran away last night with my mother's help. She told me to find you, that you would help." (Mad)

"Oh Maddy, I'm so sorry. I'll do whatever I can to help you." (J)

"Do you mean that?" (Mad)

"Of course I do." (J)

"Then I need help finding my pearl, please! He is not in any of the oceans, seas, or flowing waters for I have searched them all in the last two decades. So he must be a land dweller, please help me find him." (Mad)

"Oh Maddy, you know genies, even free ones, cannot discover the whereabouts of someone's soulmate." (J)

"I know, but you can help me find someone who can." (Mad)

"Maddy, you're not thinking of who I think you are, right?" (J)

"Yes. She is the only one that can find out where he is. Please I have to find Witanica." (Mad)

I felt Jeanie stiffen next to me as her hand that had been rubbing circles along my back seems to freeze. I look up and through my tears I can see the look of fear that passes over her face. Not fear for herself but for me. I knew the risk I was taking in seeking out a relative of the very witch that my own ancestor had turned to for help so many centuries ago. Help that led to her own demise in the end.

"I know what you are thinking Jeanie, but the risk I take is worth it. For if I am forced to wed and bed a merman that is not my pearl then I will die on the inside, and it will be an end no better than turning into sea foam." (Mad)

"I will help you Maddy, but only on the condition that you let us help you in return." (J)

I saw the serious look appear in her calm eyes as I readily agreed with her. She let out a deep breath before glancing at her lover and then snapping her fingers. I saw the old map that I had always known Jeanie to have appear in front of us.

"I am a whisper on the wind, I am the laugh within the mischief, I am the fulfiller of wishes, I am the prisoner of the lamp. Upon Madeline's face a broken heart may become her curse, but now Great Genies above help me find the witch that could make it become the reverse." (J)

Jeanie's POV:

It wasn't often nowadays that I called upon the Genie Council for anything but I smiled in thanks as I watched my plea become accepted by the Council. A few seconds later we all saw silver lights appear above my map before it zoomed in on Baton Rogue, Louisiana. We watched as an address on Bourbon street appeared highlighted on the map before it returned to normal, with the silver lights disappearing into mist.

"It would have to be Baton Rogue wouldn't it. Great." (J)

"What's wrong with Baton Rogue babe? Who knows might be fun, Mardi Gra month and all that." (Em)

I rolled my eyes a bit at my silly mate, as I caught his mischievous smirk on his face before he must of caught on to how worried I was about going there. He stood up and wrapped his arms around me before I looked to Alice and Rose

"Of course we can! We'll take her shopping tomorrow for a new wardrobe, it's about time to anyway." (Alice)

"Thanks, we shouldn't be gone longer than a day or so but that depends on if the witch is in a good mood. Maddy, I need to go pack a small bag real quick and then we'll be ready to leave." (J)

I watched as she nodded before taking a seat back on the couch, next to Esme who was offering her a soft smile. I took Emmett's hand into my own before snapping my fingers, letting go of his hand as I picked out a few things we might need in case things go south.

I didn't have many amulets to protect against witches should they get pissed off but I had enough to ensure she couldn't turn Maddy into sushi or Emmett into a BBQ. I felt him grab me into his chest as I turned towards him, smiling as I breathed in the best scent in the world, which was him.

"Babe what's got you worried?" (Em)

"Let's just say that while a truce may exist between witches and genies, the one between Dark Witches and genies is always on thin ice. I need you to be on your best behavior or so help me I will send you back here." (J)

"Babe, when I am not on my best behavior?" (Em)

For a moment I thought he was joking and a smile crossed my face before I realized he was being serious. I scoffed some before I kissed him gently on the lips and took us back to the main house in the living room.

"Ready Maddy?" (J)

"Yes, thank you Jeanie so much." (Mad)

"Don't thank me just yet, thank me after if we all make it back here in one piece without a curse on any of us." (J)

I saw her nod before looking down at the floor, and I didn't need Jasper to tell me she was ashamed. Ashamed that it had come to searching for Witanica as a result of her father's own shameful actions. Making his own daughter wed a merman that wasn't her pearl, if this was a werewolf and his mate we were talking about it could led to war down the road.

My mind went to the last time I had a mermaid friend ask for help. Over five hundred years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a few decades before Master Smith when Maddy's great great aunt came asking for the same help and I gave it to her, for all the good it did as it failed. Yet, as I looked into Maddy's teal colored eyes that were an identical match to her great aunt's, I couldn't refuse her this last chance of finding her pearl before her own father managed to break her heart by forcing her hand in marriage.

"Maddy, remember the first thing I ever said to you when I saw you lost on the pier and looking for your mother?" (J)

"Me and you are like urchins, we'll stick together no matter what?" (Mad)

"Exactly, now let's get this over." (J)