CHAPTER 37

CHAPTER 37

I was sitting on my leather chair with my eyes scanning the papers in front of me when my phone went off. I so dearly hoped it was Clary. I needed to talk to her. I needed to tell her about those folders and the engagement and everything and I have no idea where the hell she was. Yes, she had done this before, vanishing from the face of earth for a couple of days whenever work got tough. But there's something inside of me, telling me that this time it's serious. It's not about work an God help me if it had anything to do with my father, if he tried to hurt her, it would so be the end of him.

I checked my phone and my shoulders shagged as the first thought that hit me was 'it is not Clary.'

"Joffery, hey." I answered trying to sound enthusiastic but every time he gave me a visit, something dramatic happened.

"Katherine, how are you?" Joffery's voice sounded cheerful.

"Do I need to answer that?" He chuckled hearing my response.

"Then I might know a way to lift up your mood." His British accent never fails to astonish me. It surely got a hold on him for all the years he spent in London. I guess, I am still not used to it.

"And what would that be?" I asked already smiling.

"That would be walking right through your door." There was a knock on my door as soon as he said that.

"Come in." I said loud enough for the person on the other side of the door. John, my driver, walked in with a huge smile and a bouquet of white lilies in his hand.

"These are for you m'am." He put the flowers on the table.

"Thank you John." I said, my hands already reaching for the note I could see hanging in. He nodded and left.

"Thank you Joffery. They are beautiful but what is the occasion?"

"Not as beautiful as you Katherine." I could feel my cheeks heat up. Thank God he could not see me right now.

"I could totally imagine you blushing." Joffery teased.

"Oh shut up!"

"There is note in there, read it." he said.

I flicked the note open and a slight frown appeared on my face.

"It says see you at seven. Where are we going?" I asked.

"Be there and you would find out. Don't worry I have explained everything to John."

"But where are we going?" I asked once again.

"To our happy place. See you at seven Katherine." with that Joffery hung up the phone leaving me totally confused. Sighing, I put my phone down. There is no point arguing with him.

It was already past four and as I had no more meetings, I decided to head home. When I slid into the back seat of my car, I found a packet beautifully wrapped with a white rose on top of it and another note.

"Should I be worried about your loyalties John?" I asked jokingly.

"My loyalty resides wherever your happiness is Miss. Smith." He passed me a small fatherly smile through the rear view mirror before driving towards home. Once inside the comforts of my walls, I opened the note to read it.

'You would look stunning everything, I still tried.'

I opened the packet to find a beautiful lacy white dress sitting on my lap. This looks like, it would have costed him a fortune. Keeping the note and the rose aside, I took the dress with me to my room and laid it on the bed. I stripped down my office clothes and hopped into the shower.