CHAPTER 39

AUTHOR'S NOTE- hey guys. How is everyone doing? I wanted to thank each one of you for the constant support you have shown to this. It really means so much. So here is the next chapter. I apologize in advance for the mistakes and please read this till the end. Don't skip this chapter. Also, buckle up people. Here you go. Enjoy.

CHAPTER 39

I am confused with what just happened. It took me so much efforts to persuade myself that I needed to do this, that I needed to go along with this plan if I want to come out of all of this as a winner and no matter how painful was all this, I had convinced myself that going on that stage and putting a fake engagement ring on my finger and seeing that smug look on my father's face was what needed to be done.

And everything was going fine till now. From the moment I entered this beautifully decorated hall, my every move was captured. We were watched and even the smallest of actions could ruin all our plans and our reputations.

But now that I was minutes away from the big moment and I heard those words coming out of Clary's mouth, I knew my doubts were right. Something was not right and I should not have ignored my gut feelings.

The smile that was there on my face for the entire evening, faltered. I knew all the eyes were on us as Clary's entry had made quite a show but I could not let them know something was wrong. So, I put on a fake smile and took a step closer towards her so that no one could listen to our conversatioin.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You cannot do this, please." Her voice was desperate.

"Cannot do what?"

"This engagement, Katherine. This is wrong."

"Clary, what are you talking about? Did you not get any of my messages?" I asked. I had sent her like a million messages asking her to call me back and here she was, standing in front of me and throwing daggers at Ryder.

"We cannot talk here. People could hear us." I whispered.

"You think anyone is interested in two best friend's sloppy gossip over that band playing? Katherine, you have to listen to me before you make any decision, please."

"Hey! They are playing nice and soft music." I pouted.

"Not the point Katherine! This is important."

"Calm down. It's fine. This is not real." I tried telling her everything but I could not.

"Katherine Smith I am not letting you do this mistake. There is a lot more going on than you are aware of and guess who is behind all this." My heart fell to my stomach as I saw the look in her eyes and the fact that she was smiling was making this all creepier. Instantly, my head snapped towards my father standing on the stage, looking intently towards me, trying to understand what is going on but then her hand pressed against my palms and I realized she wasn't looking at him. Her eyes were narrowed, her lips were set in a straight line and she was looking at Ryder with so much intensity, I thought he was going to melt right then and there.

"Ryder." His name left my mouth in a soft whisper that even I could not hear it. I knew something was wrong, I could feel it from the very beginning. I knew he had his own selfish motives behind this engagement idea but I tried to ignore it. I hoped he was doing it for us and not just himself but I was wrong. It's always about him.

"Meet me in the washroom so I could tell you everything." She said but I was too focused on the man standing in front of me to form a reply. And the look in his eyes said it all. I did not need any proofs to know that whatever Clary was about to say was true because his eyes said it all. I saw something I never knew I was capable of seeing in Ryder Black, fear.