CHAPTER 44

AUTHOR'S NOTE- HEY GUYS! HOW ARE YOU ALL DOING? HERE IS THE NEXT CHAPTER AND I AM SORRY THAT I AM A BIT LATE, BUT LIFE'S CRAZY. THE CHAPTER IS NOT SO EVENTFUL BUT IT'S IMPORTANT FOR CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. HAPPY READING. AND YEAH THE NEXT ONE IS GOING TO BE A BOMB.

ALSO A MAJOR SHOUT OUT TO @09brie08 FOR THIS LOVELY BOOKCOVER AND THE WORK YOU PUT IN. THANK YOU SO MUCH, LOVE.

CHAPTER 44

It was almost an hour since my father left but the shock of that whole conversation had not worn off yet. Ryder was still here, don't ask me why but both of could not move. Either we were too scared to speak up and break the silence that laid upon us, afraid that the next word ringing in our ears would even make everything more terrible than it already was or we would just wanted to enjoy the solitude of our own presence. I don't think there has been a day where there was no shouting or fighting or pulling each other's hair ever since he came back, maybe we were not just ready to let go off this comfort right now. We both know tomorrow is the beginning of a new battle and we are either going to win this or die and even if we walk out of all this mess as winners, nothing would be the same. No person, no relation is going to be the same. So maybe, we just wanted to the live all of the left off in this hour. But nothing lasts forever.

"We need to have a little chat with my brother." Ryder said sighing and rubbing his hands over his face. His eyebrows were furrowed and his eyes had turned a little red.

"Yes, we do." I replied looking at him as his arms muscles flexed under that white shirt.

"Do you think he would... he would side with Richard?" Ryder hesitated. He did not trust Josh completely. I know he was trying to but it wasn't easy.

"He is your brother." I replied shrugging.

"Yeah, but you know him better."

"I think I do but you Black men have a history of lying and backstabbing people."

"I won't argue with that point." He gave me a closed mouth smile.

"He won't side with him Ryder. He might have your father's blood but he is nothing like you and him."

"Then what is he like?" Ryder's voice was soft and gentle, his eyes had turned a little watery. I don't know if it was the fear of losing me to his half- brother that I was seeing in those dark grey eyes or the pain of being kept apart from his family member, from his brother.

"He is kind and gentle. He is nice to everyone. He is very down to earth and very hardworking. He is paying for his own tuition and living. He has two part time jobs and he is studying business. He is a terrible bar tender and has served me terrible- terrible drinks but I never paid for them but he is a really great cook, just like you." I did not realize I had a small smile on my lips as I finished talking and lifted my head to look at Ryder. He was looking at me intently with a lost look in his eyes.

"You love him?" He asked. The question threw me off guard. Did I? Love him? I sure had a soft corner for him and I still do but when I found out that he was lying to me about his identity, I don't know where I stand with him anymore.

"I don't know." I finally replied.

"Did you ever, even for a moment loved him more than you ever loved me more?"

"No." My response came immediately but it wasn't a shock to me. I might like Josh, okay, I do like Josh but I don't think I could reach a level with someone so fast that I had with Ryder over years. Ryder had a small smile on his lips hearing my response.

"I think I should get to bed. It's just too much for one night." I said trying to get up but I got tipsy with all the drinking and staggered.

"Hey you okay?" Ryder was at once on his foot and by my side. Whoa! I didn't know someone could move so fast after having so much to drink.