12; The Cellphone

I was sitting on the couch doing some homework and eating chips when Tony walked in through the front door, holding some shopping bags.

"Hey," I said. "What's in the bags?"

"Groceries." He replied as he set them down in the kitchen.

"You went grocery shopping? Don't you have like... people that do that for you?" I stopped writing.

"Mostly," he said. "But I had some things I needed to get."

"Like what?"

"Like this."

I looked up and saw what he had in his hand.

"Don't you already have a cellphone?" I asked.

"Yes. This one's for you."

My eyes widened and I shot up. "Are you kidding?!"

He shook his head and handed me the small white box

He shook his head and handed me the small white box. "Thank you thank you thank you!" I exclaimed as I wrapped my arms around him.

"This is insane." I cradled the box in my hand as if it would break by the slightest touch.

"Well, are you gonna open it?" Tony laughed.

"Oh yeah."

I sat down on the couch and carefully slipped the cover off the box. The phone stared back at me and I peeled off the protective film, then powered it on.

"This is so cool..."

"Now you can call or text whenever you need to." Tony went back into the kitchen to continue putting the groceries away. "I already had some important numbers put on it."

I began scrolling through the contacts.

Dad
Pepper
Happy
Steve Rogers
Natasha Romanoff
Bruce Banner
Clint Barton
Peter Parker

"Someone's missing." I stated.

"Thor doesn't have a phone." Tony replied.

"Why?"

"He's a God, he doesn't need a phone."

"Why?"

"I don't know."

I scrolled a little more. "You put 911 in as a contact?"

"You never know when you might need it."

"It's 911! I don't think I'll forget!"

"It's better to be safe than sorry."

"You're such a nerd."

... that night

*ding*

I looked down from the TV to where my phone was laying on my bed beside me.

iMessage from Dad

I unlocked my phone to discover that Dad had created a group chat for him, the rest of the Avengers, and me. Of course he did, I'm not even surprised anymore. He called it 'The Avengers + baby Avenger".

I began typing.

Victoria: why?

Dad: why not?

Victoria: I didn't know this came along with the privilege of owning a cellphone.

Dad: But it's a group chat! It'll be lit

Victoria: oh god don't say lit

Steve: what does lit mean?

Bruce: I believe it is the past tense version of the word light.

Steve: you're going to set us on fire?!

Victoria: I'm going to lose my mind that's what's going to happen

Dad: well you better go catch it!
Dad: wait that's not how that joke goes

Natasha: he's already telling dad jokes and it's been like 2 weeks

Victoria: you don't have to live with him

Dad: it's not too late to bring the phone back

Victoria: omg you are the funniest person I have ever met in my entire life WOW are you a comedian because I. Am. Dying.

Dad: that's what I thought

I rolled my eyes and went to the home screen to explore more applications. I discovered Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat. I decided to check out Instagram first, and it ended up being a social media app. I signed up and thought of a clever username.

@ VictoriaStarkOfficial

Good enough.

Immediately, people began following me, sending me direct messages asking if it was really me. I found a selfie of Tony and I, which I forced him to take with me as soon as I got my phone, and posted it with the caption "yes! It's me!"

People began commenting and liking the photo and, honestly, it made me really happy. I was being noticed!

"I'm so happy you finally have Instagram!"
"I can't believe it's really you!"
"What's it like being Tony's daughter?"
"You don't deserve to have him as a father. He left you for a reason. He doesn't want you."

The last one made me frown. I gulped.

"No," I thought. "That's not true... he loves me. Doesn't he?"

I closed the app and continued on to Twitter, where I went through the same process. I gained attention there the same as on the other app. Soon enough, I got notifications saying;

'TonyStarkOfficial' followed you
'SteveRogersOfficial' followed you
'PeterParker' followed you
'NatashaR' followed you
'BruceBanner' followed you

Oh great, now they can watch what I'm posting. Maybe this was a mistake.