38; Not What It Looks Like

"Bailey, chicken or beef?" I held up two treats to the dog and he took the chicken one.

We were both currently sitting amongst the blankets and pillows on the floor of my new treehouse, and because it was now after 6:00, it was already dark out. The fairy lights that were strung around the perimeter of the room were giving it a dim glow and, from the open windows, I could smell the fresh scent of the ocean just outside along with the sounds of crashing waves.

Bailey nibbled happily on his bone and I laid back, pulling my phone out of my pocket and snapped a photo of him. I opened Instagram and posted the photo with the caption 'Best birthday ever! Thank you so much, Dad! (And everyone else for all the presents!) #12.

I tagged everyone in the photo and immediately started receiving comments saying how cute Bailey was.

"Victoria, dinner!" Tony yelled from the house.

"Coming!"

I grabbed Bailey and placed him on my shoulder, sliding down the slide and carrying him inside. I walked through the back door and sat at the table, placing Bailey on the floor. Tony walked over and placed a plate with salmon, mashed potatoes and asparagus in front of me and one on his side of the table as well.

"Just us?" I asked, picking up my fork.

"Yep."

We began eating. "Y'know, sometimes I wish everyone lived closer."

"Everyone?"

"Yeah, like Steve and Peter in particular."

He chuckled. "They don't live too far, thirty minutes by foot, seven minutes by suit." I laughed. "How's the play going?"

"It's going good, you're coming to the pre-show, right?"

He looked up suddenly with a blank look on his face, then chewed slowly. "Um— yeah of course, that's on...."

"Monday—"

"Monday!"

"And today is..." I trailed off, but he didn't answer. "Saturday."

"Right." He nodded.

"Please don't forget." I pleaded.

"I won't! I promise."

Later, I thanked Tony for dinner and he said I could go back outside before it got too late, and that he would clean up. Bailey followed behind me and I sat in the tire swing with him in my lap, staring up at the stars and clouds as they moved slowly across the sky. The cool breeze sent calming sensations over my body as it grazed my skin, and I soon closed my eyes as I swung back and forth slowly. A thump caused me to shoot up in the swing.

"Peter!" I exclaimed as the red and blue suit appeared in front of me. "You scared the crap out of me!"

He laughed, tugging his mask off. "Sorry."

"What're you doing here?"

"I was downtown and decided to pay a visit."

"You were here this morning."

"Okay, so I just came to see the dog."

I put my hands under Bailey's armpits and lifted him up for Peter to see. Peter took the dog whilst making high-pitched squeaking noises in excitement and I laughed at him. Peter stuck around for a while and pushed me on the swing as we talked about random things; school, Halloween which was coming up tomorrow, and the play.

For Halloween I was being Captain America, mostly just to get on Tony's nerves. Peter was taking me trick or treating and I was really looking forward to it. The two of us hung out in the treehouse for a while longer, watching movies and TV shows, until both of us fell asleep amongst the blankets and pillows splayed around the room.

...

I was woken up by the sun shining into my eyes and tried to turn over to face away from it, but found myself stuck. I opened my eyes all the way and realized it was because Peter had his arms wrapped tightly around me. I blushed and, instead, just buried my face into his chest to keep the sun out of my eyes. His shirt smelled of stereotypical teenage boy cologne, but I liked it either way, and the sound of his slow heartbeat calmed me. I ended up falling back asleep.

"Hello, good morning, it's your father speaking!" I heard Tony say loudly. I scrunched up my face and raised my head to look for him.

He was standing on the ladder through the trapdoor looking at me with a look of disbelief on his face, waving his hands around, something he does when he's angry. I didn't understand why until I felt Peter move his arms from around me and sit up. We looked at each other and moved away quickly.

"Dad, it's not what it looks like."

"It looks like you're sleeping with Peter Parker!" Tony was flabbergasted.

"Well, I mean, yeah that's true." I admitted. "But we didn't mean to, I was going to come in after he went home but... he never went home, and we just fell asleep!"

"She's telling the truth, Mr. Stark. We were watching a movie and it must've gotten late and we just fell asleep." Peter stuttered.

"Oh my God, I didn't think I'd have to deal with this until she was in her teens. She turns twelve and then BOOM, she's spooning the spider-boy!" Tony blabbers to himself.

I frantically make eye contact with Peter. "Um— oh! Would you look at the time? We're going to be late for school!" I positioned myself in front of the slide.

"It's Sunday." Tony said.

"We'll go anyways!" I slid down the slide and Peter followed behind me, then, we ran into the house to escape Tony.

...

"Victoria! Peters here!" Tony yelled from downstairs.

"Coming!" I finished putting on the last of my red, white and blue eyeshadow.

I chucked the brush down on my vanity and quickly looked at myself once more in the mirror. Instead of just going to Party City to buy a costume for 50$, Tony insisted on making my costume for me. It didn't take him long, maybe a week. He made it from metal and it looked similar to our suits, but was white, red and blue with a star on the front instead. Earlier, Tony did my hair for me, something he's gotten quite good at now, and he put it in two ponytails with red, white and blue bows in them. I hopped down the stairs to see Peter wearing his Spider-Man suit.

"Original." I joked.

"Ready to go?" He asked and I nodded.