XIX

I refused to leave Elle's side. I've been keeping her in my room so that I could easily check up on her. But she's been asleep way too long and it's beginning to scare me. It's been a full twenty-four hours. She should be awake by now. 

"Gee, you need to eat." Mikey said, walking into my room where I was pacing back and forth in front of Elle. 

"I'm not leaving her." I replied without looking at him. 

"She wouldn't want you to starve yourself over her." Mikey shook his head. Now I looked over to Elle. She wouldn't care though, would she?

"Do you have any left overs? Or could you get some. I just don't want her to wake up in a strange room with no one to tell her what happened." I explained as I sat at the foot of the bed. I ran my fingers lightly over her blanket-covered shin. Mikey sighed.

"Yeah, I'll go get you something." And with that Mikey walked out of my room, leaving Elle and I alone. My paranoia began taking control of my thoughts. What if I didn't get all the venom out? What if she's a vampire? No way, I didn't taste anymore venom in her blood. It is possible that the venom had already traveled far enough into her that not all would come out, but she wasn't left there long enough for that to happen.

I was so lost in though that I didn't even sense her waking up until I felt her leg move underneath my hand. "Elle?" I stood up and crouched closer to her side. Her icy blue eyes slowly fluttered open as she stirred slightly. She looked around the room sleepily, then back at me with confusion in her eyes. 

"Gee? Where am I?" She asked with a raspy voice. I tucked a few strands of her hair behind her ear. 

"You're in my room. Do you remember what happened Elle?" I asked, helping her sit up in my bed. She shook her head, but then seemed to remember something.

"Weren't we at.... Andy's? He...He hurt you." She reached out to touch my cheek. I held her cold hand against my colder cheek. I wasn't expecting her hand to be this cold.

"I'm okay Elle. Are you? How do you feel?" 

"Sleepy." Elle yawned. I chuckled slightly until I could feel how exhausted she was. I don't usually have to sleep, but feeling her exhaustion is making me need a nap. "Can I go back to sleep Gee?" 

"Of course you can Elliebell." I stood up but she grabbed my hand. Her's seemed to get even colder by the second. I looked down at her mildly confused until she said something that made my non-beating heart skip a beat.

"Can you lay with me?" Elle asked with pure innocence. It melted my black little heart. I nodded my head as she smiled and scooted over. I let go of her icy hand and slid into my bed next to her. Elle curled into my side and rested her head on my chest. I felt anxious at the feeling of her finally accepting me, so to ease my nerves I tried tuning into her heart-beat. For some reason, I couldn't find it. No matter how hard I focused, the sound of her blood pumping was silent to me. I looked down at her concerned. 

"What's wrong?" Elle asked me, lifting her head to look me in the eyes. I grabbed her wrist and held to fingers to it. No pulse. I moved them up to her neck. Still nothing. I put my hand on her chest to feel for a heart beat. Nothing. 

"FuckfuckfuckfuckfuckFUCK!" I jumped off of my bed and picked Elle up.

"Gee what the fuck is going on!?" Elle yelled as I ran out to my car and set her in the passenger seat. If I was thinking straight, I would have just ran us there but that might've made her feel sick. 

I climbed in on my side and sped down the road to Ray's place. I kept her wrist in my hand hoping that her pulse would magically appear. But it didn't.