XXIII

The three of us walked back into the living room and sat down semi-awkwardly. I kept close to Gerard out of habit, while he kept his arm around me in the same meaning. Mikey just tucked his legs under him and twiddled his thumbs slightly. Elena studied us for a second before speaking up.

"Is everything okay dear? I'm so sorry if I had said something that upset you." Elena said sincerely. I felt bad for making her think this is her fault.

"No no it's not that. I just brought up sour memories. You didn't do anything wrong." I smiled over to her. She took a breath and seemed to calm down.

"Good, good. Now, let's talk about your new.... circumstances." She suggested, I nodded.

"Well like I told you earlier, Andy had gotten a hold of her, and the result was her getting bitten. But I had gotten to her side quick enough to suck any venom out before it had traveled too far down her blood stream, or so I thought. She remained unconscious for about twenty-four hours before waking up in my room. She was still tired so we were gonna lay back down until I noticed how cold her body was. I felt for a pulse in her wrist and neck. When I found nothing I pressed my hand against her chest to feel for her heart beat but there was nothing. We tried seeing if she craved blood using Frank, but she was still disgusted by it. And she ate this morning with no problem. We don't exactly know what's going on with her." Gerard explain for me. I nodded my head to approve of what he said. Elena thought for a moment,

"Does she breathe?" She asked; Gerard nodded. "Sleep?" We nod, "Any vampire like abilities?"

"Not that we know of." Gee shook his head. Abilities? Is it possible for me to have abilities that just haven't shown through yet? "If she doesn't have blood, then what's keeping her alive?"

"I'm not sure. Whatever it is thank God. It's practically impossible for someone who still has every human character trait besides blood to be alive. And if you said that you thought you got all the venom out, then it's unlikely that the small bit still left in her could have stopped her heart but kept her alive. Even if that is what happened, the venom will wear out soon, so if that is what's keeping her alive..." Elena explained.

"What are you saying?" Mikey leaned forward.

"When that venom wears out, Elle won't have anything else keeping her alive."

I looked up at Gerard terrified. His eyes were as wide as mine and just as scared. Gerard wrapped his other arm around me. "What can we do to stop that?" Gerard asked, voice shaking slightly.

"The only thing we can do is replace the venom with a higher amount. And if we do that-"

"Elle will become a vampire." Gerard finished for her. I felt my body freeze. Become a vampire? No, I can't. What about Frank?

"I-I have to become a vampire?" I asked Gerard. Gerard looked desperate for another answer.

"There has to be another way Elena. There has to. I can't let her live like us." 

"I'm afraid there isn't another way. It's either she lives like you, or she doesn't live at all." Elena shook her head sadly. 

"Are we able to find out how much longer she has?" Mikey spoke up. I saw Elena nod her head.

"I can do that now. I just need a sample of the blood left in her." Elena got up from her chair and went into the kitchen. I felt Gerard tense up.

"W-what's wrong Gee?" I asked, rubbing his back.

"Fucking. HATE. Needles." Gerard shuddered. I chuckled softly,

"But you're not the one getting poked."