53. the escape

"Come on." Clarke prodded Anya as the three of us made our way through the winding tunnels. We had been running for close to 10 minutes now and had still not found a way out.

"This place is a maze." I huffed as paused for a moment, looking around in hopes of finding the exit.

Clarke and Anya stopped beside me, both of them struggling to catch their breath. All three of us looked horrible, Anya considerably worse than Clarke and I. We were coated in a mixture of dirt and sweat, the braid that had been holding my hair back was falling out, leaving pieces of hair sticking to my face.

Anya let out a small cough, "What did they do to us?"

Clarke spun around to face her, her eyes still scanning our surroundings, "They used your blood," she explained, readjusting the jacket she had pulled on, "I saw a soldier come in with radiation burns, hours later he was fine. It's like your blood is healing them. I've never seen anything like it."

Anya's face fell as Clarke spoke, it was clear that a hundred thoughts were running through her head.

"We should keep moving." I announced as I tucked a piece of stray hair behind my ear.

Clarke nodded as she turned slightly, "This way."

As Clarke and I began in the opposite direction of where we originally came from, Anya did not follow, instead she turned back towards where we came. When I didn't hear her footsteps behind us, I spun around which caused Clarke to do the same.

The blonde looked at me with eyes wide in confusion. I shook my head with a shrug of my shoulders, signalling I had no clue what she was doing.

"What are you doing!?" Clarke snapped, "That's the way to the Reapers."

Anya paused, looking back at us blankly, "You two go your way, I'll go mine."

I threw my head back in frustration, I was almost willing to let her go off on her own. I did not trust her and she was only making things difficult.

Clarke wasn't so willing to let her go, "Anya, we need to stick together."

Anya whipped her head towards us, "I told you, there is no we."

"We saved your life!" I argued, becoming increasingly irritated.

She didn't waver as she replied, "You saved my life because you two need me. I know the way back to your people, I know where all the traps are. You would never make it alone."

Clarke began to mimic my irritation as she spun back around, grabbing my arm and pulling me with her, "We don't have time for this, our best chance at survival is if we stick together. All we can do is keep moving and hope-"

She trailed off as she came to a stop, turning to look behind us. I followed her movements, my eyes growing wide when I realized Anya had disappeared.

"Anya?" Clarke whispered, spinning around in search of her, "Anya?" she repeated as she moved away from me. Suddenly she rushed back towards me, her eyes wide.

"What's going on?" I asked, peering around her. My eyes landed on part of the tunnel that was being illuminated by torch lights, meaning one thing. "Are those-"

"Reapers." Clarke confirmed, not wasting anytime in grabbing me and pulling me along behind her.

We hadn't made it very far when we tried to turn a corner, only to be stopped by torch light, accompanied by a single Reaper. My eyes were wide as Clarke and I silently spun around, trying to head in the opposite direction. Our attempts failed as another Reaper emerged, followed by another and then another.