54. alone

A scream escaped my lips as my body came into contact with the cold water

A scream escaped my lips as my body came into contact with the cold water. It felt like ice was surging through my veins as I struggled to pull myself back up to the top. I could feel myself beginning to panic, my lungs feeling tight as I clawed at the water.

I began to kick my feet, and soon enough I was able to push myself to the surface. As my head met the air, I let out deep breaths, trying to regain my composer before attempting to swim my way to shore.

I was sputtering water as I turned in a slow circle, looking for Clarke and Anya. With no sign of them, I decided to head to shore, hoping they would be there.

Swimming to shore was a whole other struggle. My head went under more times than I could count as I pushed against the strong currents. When I finally reached the rocky bank I all but crawled my way onto land.

I slumped back, letting out quick breaths as I tried to stop my head from swimming. It was only when the adrenaline had begun to wear off that I could feel a dull pain in my thigh. With a grunt I pulled myself up into the sitting position so I could examine where the pain was coming from.

My hands were shaking as I pulled my dress up slightly to reveal a bloodied mess. I winced as I placed my hand on my thigh. I had been shot. Biting down on the inside of my cheek I ran my hand across the back of my leg, looking for an exit wound. "Damn it." I muttered when all I felt was smooth skin-the bullet was still in there.

I knew that trying to walk with the bullet still in there was dangerous and would be painful as hell, but I needed to do it if I wanted to get home. With my now bloodied hands I reached up and undid the ribbon that had been holding my braid in place. I almost laughed at the irony as I undid the false luxury that Mount Weather had provided.

I took the sleeve of my jacket into my mouth and bit down as I tied the ribbon above the bullet wound, letting out a muffled cry as I tightened it to stop any blood loss.

Once that was done I remembered that I was supposed to be with two other people. Scanning the riverbank I saw no sign of the other two girls, "Clarke, Anya?" I called, loud enough so that if they were close they would hear, but quiet enough as to not give myself away.

I received no response and I felt my heart drop, they had left me.

As much as I wanted to lay down and go to sleep I knew I needed to get moving. Glancing around I found a long enough stick that I could use as a cane. Sticking my injured leg out straight, I managed to push myself up onto my good leg.

The sun was hot against my face as I began to walk. Honestly, I didn't really know where I was going but I had a slight idea. Finn was amazing at Earth skills and he always told me about what he learned each day in school. He told that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Using that knowledge and the fact that it was the early evening, and relying on my memory of our attempted trek to Mount Weather on our first day down here, I knew Mount Weather was west of our camp. Meaning if I kept the sun on my back I would be headed in the right direction-hopefully,