STEVE ROGERS || Mourning Peggy

Steve was in mourning. He presence in a room was distant and sad, his words not extending further than a sentence at a time. He felt as if sharing his emotions made him seem hopeless and needy, so nothing personal came from his lips. Not until you finally wore him down.

You approached him kindly and gently when he was about to go to sleep. He was your boyfriend, after all, so he felt comfortable in saying personal things to you and only you. He rose his glassy eyes to meet yours, the ghost of a smile grazing his lips. You slipped into the bed next to him, expecting his arms to find their way around you to pull you close. Instead, they stayed still at his sides.

"Hey baby," You whispered, finding his hand underneath covers. He tensed at the contact, pulling his hand away enough to show you that he didn't want it. You hastily retracted your hand before you continued, "wanna talk to me about Peggy?"
At first, he shook his head. He also mumbled out a soft 'no' that was barely audible- even when you're laying right in front of him.
"Are you sure? It'll be good for you." Spoke further, the gentleness still evident in your voice.

"N-no." He whispered, adverting his eye contact away from you. You sighed, knowing that you're going to have to break some boundaries to get him talking the way you need to.

"Peggy was a wonderful lady." You stated, "from what I have heard from yourself as well as Bucky and the history books, she was fierce and strong. I remember you even telling me that she punched a recruit in the face when he–"

"Don't talk about her." Steve said lowly, looking to you briefly. Pain shone from his eyes, "please."

"Why not?" You asked confusedly.

"She- she..." Steve sighed, voice hitching in his throat as he the pain in his eyes spread to cover his entire face, "She was the love of my life." His eyes went back to you. "And it pains me to live everyday knowing that I can't love anyone as much as I once loved her."

Those words stung like salt in a wound. Your stomach churned as you replied, "and me, right? You can't love anyone else as much as you loved her... and me?" His silent look gave you all the answers you needed. "Alright." You whispered, holding back the tears, "I'll be back."

You left the room, making your way into the lounge. Grabbing a blanket on the way past, you settled yourself down, eventually falling to sleep there. He was mourning. It'll all be fine soon enough... yeah?

WRITTEN BY ELLE