Chapter 3: A Monster

NewDawn was a famous blogger. I don't know how or when I stumbled upon her blog 'The Unheard Ones' but I was glad I did. It was her inspiring posts that helped me tide through the loss of my family, no matter how little. That person was there for me during those tough times.

The best part about her blog was that she had a separate column for helping people suffering from depression, bullying and harassment. Dawn devoted a lot of her time towards helping those people. It was later I found that one of her friends took her life because she was bullied. Dawn regretted not being able to help her friend, and she didn't want others to go through the same pain.

It's easy to raise voice online than in reality because no one knows you personally. There's less shame and more comfort. Dawn realized this and used her blog to give them a voice. I used to admire her for all her hard work until today.

When I opened my laptop to do some random scrolling, I saw Dawn had posted a new video entitled 'MONSTER' about three hours ago. That video had a million views already! I thought that the video must be really nice.

The video started with a lot of shaking. I couldn't see anything properly. Apparently, the person recording it had trouble holding the phone and his or her hands were shaking badly as if that person was frightened. I was wondering what could be that frightening when the recorder stabilized and it showed the sky. That video zoomed, and I could see bright white spots flying out of holes in the sky. The spots were large enough to identify their human-like figure. In an instant, I realized those were the falling angels.

"Are these angels?" The girl holding the camera exclaimed. I knew it was Dawn because I had heard her before.

"Eh. What's that?" Just then Dawn turned to her right and I could see one black spot coming down.

"That's a monster, a monster," Dawn screamed in fright and focussed that black dot in the middle that was falling down.

Just a few seconds later, that black spot unfolded something like a parachute and started flying away. That angel clad in black moved farther and farther away. I was sure that the black spot was none other than the angel that fell in my backyard. Though the spot wasn't clear, I could guess it's identity because I didn't see any other black-winged angel beside him.

Dawn tried to keep that black angel in the frame, but she couldn't do it after a few moments because of a building blocked the view. She then opened the door to the apartment and ran upstairs. Nothing was much clear until she reached the terrace and looked around. There was no trace of any spot by the time she reached higher ground. And the video ended.

I don't know why, but I felt furious because of that video. The words of Dawn were repeating themselves in my ears. The way she referred to that black-winged angel as a monster made me so angry. That feeling was the same as if someone had insulted my best friend or my family. No, perhaps the feeling was even more intense.

I know she didn't do it on purpose. She was frightened when she witnessed that sight. I know! I was frightened too. Even I thought for once that he might be a devil. It would have been okay if she had said something like 'what the hell is that' but she had to call that person as a monster on first sight. If that adorable man sleeping on the bed is a monster, then every living being is one too.

My eyes moved away from my laptop and looked at that black-winged angel. He was unconscious even after three hours. I closed the blinds of the window so that light doesn't disturb his sleep. As I saw him sleeping peacefully, I couldn't help but wondered what it means to be a monster.

He was unlike others as he wore black clothes and he just had one black wing. Was that enough to label him as a monster? I agree I hadn't seen him do any good. But I didn't see him do anything bad either. So what if there is a slight possibility that he really is some bad guy? Those people calling him a monster didn't know that. Then just how can they pass their judgement without knowing anything.