Chapter 30: Home

Black

When I woke up, someone was lying on top of me. How I wished for that person to be my Eve. But this one was much smaller than my Eve. Much, much smaller.

The baby was sleeping on top of me. His hands were on either side of my chest. He was hugging me tightly with his little hands. The rest of the bed was empty. The baby could have slept somewhere else on the bed. Why did he have to choose me as her bed?

I thought about it for a while and in the end, concluded that the baby belonged to those minorities of human kids who can feel the life force. They are drawn to the life force subconsciously, like an ant is drawn to sugar. Though they forget this feeling as they grow up. It was the first time I was experiencing such babies from so close.

When I looked at the baby carefully, I realized that it was a girl, not a boy as I thought before. She was so adorable. She had little blonde hair, and her nose was so small. She looked really cute the way she was drooling while she slept on me. If I dare give her points, I'd give her seven out of ten. She was good, but she paled in comparison to my angel.

She was the second person ever to hug me like that, but she had committed a mistake by making me a bed. I wanted to shake her so that she'll wake up and get off me. But as my hand touched her back, I felt she was oddly warm. She had a fever, a high grade one at that.

I didn't move her. A thought drifted in my mind. That one day I might have a daughter like this girl, and she might be sick. Perhaps she would hug me the same way this girl was hugging me, and I would definitely hug my little girl back instead of pushing her away. Fatherly instinct? I didn't know that I held an instinct that is not destructive. Perhaps I was changing. The presence of my Eve was changing me for the better. I just wished that one day I would change back to the way my Eve wanted me to be.

I decided to heal that girl, but before I could attempt that, someone opened the door to my room. It was a woman with blond hair and dark eyes. She appeared to be in her thirties. But you can never judge a woman's age by her looks. I felt like I had seen her before somewhere, but I couldn't remember where.

I quickly checked for her origins. I was afraid that she might be a demon. After all, they're quite good at disguising as humans. I was in deep sleep last night. I had only placed one barrier around the house and that too long ago. When I looked at her with my all-seeing eyes, I was relieved to find out that she was a genuine human. She stared at me for a while before speaking up.

"Who the hell are you?" That woman asked loudly.

I wanted to ask her the same, but I did not want to wake up the baby. Couldn't she see the baby was sleeping?

"Shh..." I told her to keep her voice down. She looked at the sleeping girl and I was glad she stayed silent. My Eve soon entered the room after that lady.

"I'm her husband," I replied in a low voice and pointed at my Eve.

"Ehhh..." She exclaimed and turned her head towards my Eve. She stared at my Eve in disbelief. That shocked look on her face was funny. The look on my Eve's face was even funnier. Her eyes were open wide and she was gawking while looking at me.

"Black!" Eve exclaimed in an embarrassed manner. The expression on her face was too cute. I couldn't help myself from smiling at her expression. The sight in front of me was imprinted on my heart like a photograph. I wouldn't forget that in a million years.

That lady laughed along with me at her reaction. Eve wasn't wary of that lady, so it was easy to figure out that she ought to be some relative of my Eve. The girl sleeping on top of me must be that lady's daughter. I could see their similarity.