Side Story: Unrequited

"I think I have fallen in love with you." It took me every ounce of courage I had to confess my feelings.

Sitting against the tree was that man who was my friend, guide. He taught me everything I knew about healing, about helping others and about being kind. He was looking at the moon with yearning eyes. And at that moment, from the side, he looked so handsome that my heart skipped a beat. But this lovesickness didn't belong for me.

"But my heart already has someone it longs for. I am sorry, Lilith." He didn't even turn his head towards me when he replied. Perhaps he didn't want to look at me. My confession birthed a strange awkwardness between us. I didn't want it to be like that.

I always knew that my love was an unrequited one. I had often seen him wandering around different places on Gaia, searching for someone. He never ceased his efforts, despite finding failure for years. But my heart still dropped when I heard his reply. I felt like crying my heart out at that moment. But I didn't want to show him my pitiful self. Perhaps we might never meet again after this, and I didn't want him to remember me like that. I held back my tears.

I walked towards him, but he didn't care to check what I was doing. I leaned in a little to reach his ears. I took in his smell as a token of remembrance and then whispered.

"I hope, I pray... That one day you will be with the one you so love."