Chapter 39: Marching To Hell

"What's that?" I exclaimed in surprise. I didn't know why, but that thing caught my attention all of a sudden. It was a mysterious pull. Normally, I wouldn't care about anything on the roadside, but that white thing just intrigued me.

My Black pushed the breaks within an instant and asked, "What happened?"

"I saw something there," I said and pointed my finger towards the milestone that was left behind. Although Black stopped the car as soon as he heard me. But because of inertia, we stopped ahead of the milestone.

"What is that thing?"

"I... dunno." I shook my head.

"Let's see what caught attention of my angel." My Black glanced at me in a curious manner. He got off the car without wasting any time and started walking towards that milestone. I too got off the car and walked after him.

Black stopped near that milestone and sat down on his knees. He picked that white thing with both hands. I guess he was having trouble picking that thing up. I could see from behind that his hands were moving in a different position and he took considerable time picking that object.

He stood up, but he didn't turn back. I could see he was having a little trouble adjusting himself. I wondered what that thing could be.

"What's it?" I asked. He turned to face me as I asked that.

And as he did, I saw the scariest thing in the world.

In his arms was a small, white, furry living thing. It didn't take me long that there was not just one of it. Two of them were hiding behind the first one and as their colour was almost as same as his sweater, it took me a little while more to discern their existence. There were three of those small, white, furry beings. One of them moved its head towards me lazily. It blinked as if it had no life.

"Meow..."

I subconsciously took a small step back. I felt like freaking out as I looked at them. There were three cats in his arms!

"Th..." I was going to ask my Black to throw them away but as I looked towards him, I realized that I shouldn't say such a thing.

My Black was looking at them with a tender and warm gaze. Normally, or I should rather say naturally, my Black's gaze is sharp and kind of apathetic. Some might even think of his gaze as scary. Only when he looks at me, his gaze becomes affectionate. There was this rare brightness in his eyes and this special curl on his lips. The cats had stained his white sweater with dirt and mud, but he didn't say anything. That was really surprising to me.

From the way he was looking at those little cats, I knew he loved cats.

That was the third thing that he liked. Black colour, strawberries and... cats.

Why cats of all animals!?

Couldn't he like dogs, birds or turtles? I was even okay with tigers and wolves!

But he had to like those damn scary felines of all things!

I couldn't bring myself to ask him to give up on something he liked. That would be too cruel of me. And... I knew in my heart that he didn't want to let those go.

"Kitty!" Black looked at me for a second and then turned his gaze back at those cats. He so looked like a child who found the toy he lost years ago and he couldn't believe that he really found that lost toy.

After just a while, he held out his hand and looked at me silently, as if asking me to pet it. It was okay if he liked them, but why was he asking me to touch them. Didn't he know that I was afraid of cats?... No! He didn't know! I never told him!