Chapter 10: He'll Be Back

'I'll be back in a day or two.' That's what he said. These words still echoed in my ears as if he said it a few moments ago. The only unfortunate thing was, it wasn't moments ago when he said those words.

The sun had already fallen below the horizon when I opened the main door and walked inside. I searched for signs of movement as I turned on the lights. I prayed in my heart that I'd see him there. He would perhaps still be shirtless, but I hoped he'd at least be there. To my dismay, the house was empty, yet again. The imaginary lie I created with hope faded away. The crickets and other insects in my backyard welcomed me home with their chirping sounds. A big house is such a curse when there's no one to live with.

As my focus moved towards the sound of my shoes on the marble floor, it reminded me that my feet were killing me. I was not used of walking from bus stand to my home. It wasn't bad in the morning as it felt like early morning jog, but to walk with a tired body in the evening is just too much. I grabbed a water bottle from the kitchen and walked straight to my room. I didn't want to change but I knew when I would crash on the bed that it would get uncomfortable. I changed to my white nightdress that had little yellow baby chicks all over. Those chicks have kept me company for hours in my lonely nights. This dress was one of my favourites.

I placed the two tacos I bought on my way back on the mini table I use for a laptop. That was the usual place where I ate. I didn't like eating at the dinner table. The tacos were cold but still eatable. I silently thanked the guy who sold them at a portable stand near college for making such awesome tacos. He was good at his work.

As I laid down on the bed after eating, my thoughts started to wander in the garden where the memory tree of the black-winged angel had grown so tall in a short time. I had tried to ignore that tree for days and closed my eyes whenever I went near it. But that damn tree danced crazily every time, asking for my attention however I held myself back. It was calling out for me again, and this time I had to look at it. I sat under it wishing for a certain someone to be with me there.

It was Friday night. Five days had passed since Black left. He promised to come back in two days. But he was the angel of lies. I couldn't even suspect him. So carefully he placed his words, so cautiously he expressed himself so as to leave no opening. He was like a thief, dressed in black, came stealthily and stole my trust. I was angry at him, frustrated, irritated and sad too. I was just too naïve to see through his deception. All I wanted was to hear about him and his world, eat his delicious home-cooked food, hear him call me an angel and just stay with me. Just these simple and little stuff. Did I ask too much?

All these days, I couldn't stop thinking about him. I kept giving myself the reasons why he didn't come back. Perhaps he lost his way, perhaps he got in some trouble or perhaps he was still busy and he had to do some urgent work. He could have called, but then another part debated that he didn't have my number. The truth was that all of them were the reasons I created in my mind, and I had no way of finding out if they were true. Perhaps he forgot about me. Perhaps I never mattered in his life. That slight possibility was there, and enough to pull me down in darkness. And as the days passed, the optimistic thoughts changed to gloomy ones.

That night was even worse. My thoughts were running wild along with my heart. I felt kind of desolated, devastated by betrayal because he never returned. I couldn't help but remember my dream where he flies to the clouds and never returns.

I didn't know why I was missing him so much. I had developed a strange bond with him in the past few days. I understood the fact that he was an angel that belonged to a different world. He has been living a tough life. Every day was a fight to him. While I was just an ordinary girl. My life was easy going. I didn't even know what I wanted with my life. We both were so different. It was just a coincidence that we met. A twist of fate! That was all, but why did I feel so much yearning for his presence.