Chapter 44: The Way He Looked At Me

That night, I drove a critically wounded angel who was at the doorstep of death, two extraterrestrial siblings, one of which was passed out and three white devils that were half-dead because of cold back to home. It was at that moment I realized how swiftly my ordinary life had changed to an extraordinary one.

I was glad that little girl Jeanne was conscious and with me, otherwise, I wouldn't know what to do next. Though she appeared somewhat reluctant to be near Black, she still helped.

There were four wounds on Black's body. Near his heart, in the abdomen, to the side of his waist, and on his leg. I was afraid Black's injuries might worsen if I dragged him to the room like I did when he fell in my backyard. So we used a bed sheet as a temporary stretcher to move him to the room that once belonged to my parents. It was harder to get him out of the car than I imagined it to be, but we got it done almost perfectly.

I helped by carrying Jean, Jeanne's brother, to the guest room upstairs. Surprisingly, his weight appeared to be the same as a normal kid's, unlike my Black. Jeanne helped by bringing the three devils along with her to the same room and kept them near the heater. Jeanne didn't take long to fall in the embrace of sleep and looking at how things were looking normal with the kids, I went back near my Black.

I carefully took off his coat, but I didn't dare to remove his blood-stained shirt. Whenever I saw his wound, bloody and messed up, I felt like the throwing up. I had asked Jeanne before if it might lead to infection or something, but she just told me not to worry. She knew those things related to angels more.

That night, my anxious mind didn't let me sleep, and I stayed awake, hoping a miracle would happen and my Black would get alright in an instant magically. But real life ain't a fantasy tale. No such miracle happened.

But by the morning, Black's breathing, that was once shallow, had stabilized. His pulse had increased. The gap between his torn muscles was gradually getting filled. Those wounds on his body were clearly showing signs of healing. His body temperature had increased again, but he didn't show any sign of waking up.

Next morning over the breakfast, Jeanne told me about the events that happened last night. It turned out that in order to help those kids, Black ended up in a fight. Black was careless and got himself hurt. Well, he exactly wasn't careless, just he got stabbed in back with a knife dipped in poison by Jean. It appeared Jean's will couldn't overcome that demon's charm.

I was worried about his reckless behaviour, but I was also proud of him. He was ready to fight without a second thought to help some stranger kins. Such was my angel. Always braving the storms to protect others.

Everyone stayed asleep or unconscious the whole day except me. Jeanne kept waking up after every two to three hours. It appeared that she was having nightmares.

By the evening, my Black's face appeared to be rosy as his body burned in fever. The thermometer read 120 degrees. Sweat would occasionally appear on his forehead and I would wipe it off to prevent him from getting uncomfortable.

I couldn't fall asleep again, afraid he might need my help. How could I fall asleep when he was not alright? Even though I wanted to do something about his fever. I couldn't do a thing. I was annoyed by my helplessness. It hurts more to see the one you love get hurt. If I could, I'd choose to suffer from those wounds in his place...
*****
Black

My head hurt when I woke up, but after a while that pain faded away. When I looked around, I saw my Eve, sitting on the floor, her head leaned against the bed as she slept. It appeared as if she was afraid of hurting me if she slept beside me.

I wanted to put my Eve on the bed first, but I then realized my sweater was too dirty. It was soaked in dried up blood from my body and torn at few places. Next time, I should change into other clothes before engaging in a fight. I first cleaned and repaired it before touching Eve.