Chapter 19: Afraid

I was sitting on my bed, wearing a dark purple nightdress, with the sweater in my hand, though under the cover. I waited for him patiently. It doesn't take that much time to pack up the food. Perhaps he had a hunch that I was going to take a bath and that's why he didn't come in yet?

The warm bath had made my eyelids heavier than they already were, and I was trying my very best to not fall asleep before giving Black his sweater.

Just then I heard a soft knock of his knuckles on the door. Ever since the day I came out of the bathroom in only a towel, he took more care of not invading my privacy and he started doing these small things like knocking on the door. He was learning manners.

"Come in," I replied.

He entered quietly. That sad expression was still on his face but heavily disguised. He quickly took off his coat and hanged it. Then he proceeded towards the bed. I took a deep breath, calmed my heart and showed him the sweater. He was surprised.

"What is it?" The lights were still on, but what did he think I got him? A white ball?

"I brought it for you." I threw it in his direction. Black caught the sweater and opened the foldings. He looked at it as if it was an object from outer space.

His lips formed a crescent moon shaped smile and tears started dropping out of his eyes. I should have named him Crybaby instead of Ablackwing that day. I had no idea why he was crying this time. It was so... annoying. He just keeps crying, crying and crying...

"You don't like it?"

"I absolutely love it." After saying that, he started wearing that sweater.

"Then why are you crying?"

"Because I'm so happy right now. I can't help it." There was a pure expression on his face. Nothing else but happy tears. I once saw a video of a little girl who cried of happiness because she got a new kitty. Black reminded me of that girl. And just thinking about that made my annoyance dissipate into nothingness. It was not annoying. It was so freaking cute!

Black looked so good in that sweater. The sweater was a perfect fit for my Black, but those sleeves were a little long. I was proud of my choice. He wouldn't have looked that good in the same sweater of black colour.

"How is it?"

"It's so good... It's soft... So warm... And just awesome... It's just..." He walked towards me I don't know what to say right now. "I'm just too happy to be true."

"I'm glad you like it."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," Black continuously said.

"Don't you know the rule?"

"What rule?"

"In friendship, you don't say thank you."

"But if I appreciate what my friend did for me, what do I say?" He questioned.

"You take them for granted," I replied.

He chuckled in a low voice and then walked towards me. When he sat on the bed, I realized his laugh was more adorable than his smile. He slowly crawled towards me. What was he doing? He leaned towards me. My heart started beating so hard. Some unknown force made me lean towards him too.

What was I doing!?

"I can hug my best friend in return. Can't I?"

"It's up to you." I couldn't follow his actions with my eyes. I saw him spread his arms wide afar. The next thing I felt was something crashing on me. I let myself be taken by that force. I fell back on the bed and he fell over me. He started rubbing his nose near the back of my ears. It tickled as I felt his breath on my skin. Both of his hands were holding mine.