Six

Rose

Rose

One morning, I walked out of the studio and took the stairs down to the boxing ring.

The boxing ring was vast with space, waiting to be filled with an audience and spectators. It was voluminous and in the middle, a square boxing ring was placed as the centre of attention.

It was just an average boxing ring but that morning, a different man was there, hitting the bag.

I watched as he used all of his strength to throw whatever anger he had built up in him onto the bag, his punches echoing through the entire room.

The connection between the boxing gloves and punching bag was powerful, every punch filled with force and mightiness.

I walked closer, watching as he grunted a few times as he smashed his fists against the bag.

"Morning, Gage," I greeted kindly with a slightly raised tone so he could hear me, coming closer to the ring as he stopped, straightening his posture so his muscular back stretched out a little, catching my eyes.

He turned, facing me, his face sweaty and flustered. His large hand wiped it in one slid as he replied in surprise, "morning, Rose. Good sleep?"

"Yeah," I responded honestly with a genuine smile. "How about yours?"

"Good, thanks," he answered, his eyes scanning my body quickly before meeting mine once more. "So what brings you down here?"

"Well," I began, my arms resting on the ropes of the ring. "I'm bored and the guys are playing Fortnite again. I saw you down here and I was actually wondering. . ." I hesitated a little which intrigued him, his eyes twinkling. He raised his perfect eyebrow and gave me an encouraging smile.

"Iwaswonderingifyoucouldteachmehowtobox."

He looked at me, puzzled. "Sorry?"

I gave him a pleading look. "I was wondering if you would teach me how to box."

"Me," he repeated slowly, his eyes expanding a little as they stared at me. "Me teach you how to box?"

I nodded, giving him a hopeful smile. "Yeah."

"Nope."

I groaned, holding onto the ropes and leaning in a little as I gave him a wishful look. "Aw, please, Gage!" I begged, desperately wanting this. "I really need to exercise and I'm bored and it looks so fun!"

"Rose," he began, his tone already giving me bad news. "I can't."

"But why?" I beseeched, pleadingly looking at him. "Cause I'm a girl?"

"No! Definitely not!" Gage defended, his hands out in surrender. "It's not that. I'm a shitty teacher and I'm not really into that kind of learning stuff. Plus, you don't need to box. There are other ways to exercise, Rose. There's a gym through there," he explained in a weary tone as he pointed to the gym.