57. different

"What the hell were you thinking?" Abby Griffin asked and she and Jackson helped me back into bed

"What the hell were you thinking?" Abby Griffin asked and she and Jackson helped me back into bed. It was safe to say she was not happy finding me out of bed.

I gave her a sheepish smile as she lifted my leg into the bed, forcing me to lay back before covering me with the blanket. "I wanted some fresh air. It's kind of depressing in here." I shuddered looking around the room were other sick patients lay.

Abby gave me a stern look as she grabbed a blood pressure cuff and put it on my arm, "I can't help you if you won't listen to me, Avery. The more you walk on your leg the harder it will be for me to remove the bullet."

"I know," I sighed as she began to pump up the cuff on my arm, "When are we doing that surgery anyway?"

She didn't answer for a moment as she continued to pump the cuff, waiting for it to be done. Once she had a proper read on my blood pressure she removed the cuff, "Soon. I want you to be a bit stronger before we put your body through that kind of stress."

"Isn't the sooner the better?" I asked as Abby placed a hand on my forehead to check my temperature.

She let out a sigh as she pulled up a chair to sit beside me, "Avery,"

I looked over to her in confusion, "What?"

He eyes drifted to my leg as she began to speak, "The surgery is risky. We don't have any supplies, including anesthesia, which means you would have to be awake for the whole surgery. You'll feel everything I'm doing and the pain will be excruciating."

I felt my heart drop as I milled over her words. "But isn't it more dangerous to leave the bullet it?"

Abby gave a small nod, "I'm worried about the location of the bullet, there's a chance it could knick your femoral artery, which would cause you to bleed out."

"So we have to do it." I confirmed.

"It will be painful, but it should be quick. The bullet is close enough to the entrance wound that I don't have to dig too much. We'll do it in a few days, so try and rest until then."

I nodded as she stood and left me alone once again. To say I was nervous about the surgery would be an understatement. I was terrified, it was just another factor in the overwhelming stress that I was currently facing.

I couldn't clear my head as I waited for my friends to return-hopefully with my brother. I sat staring at the wall in front of me for hours. It was dark by the time someone walked in. I perked up, hoping to see Finn rushing towards me, but instead I saw an angry looking Abby Griffin marching in my direction.

"Did you know about this?" she snapped, firing a note down on my lap. I picked it up and read over the words-

Mom,

I hope you understand that I had to do this.

Clarke

I looked back up at her and shook my head, "I have no clue what this is. What did she do?" I asked, hoping Abby couldn't see right through my lie.

Abby was still glaring at me, "She went to look for your brother with the Blake siblings."

I let out a fake murmur of surprise, "I'm sorry, Abby I don't-"

She took a step closer to me, "Do not lie to me Avery."

I put my hands up in surrender, "I don't know a thing."

I was lying and she knew I was lying, but she decided to drop it. She grabbed the note before stomping off, mumbling something about finding Raven.

Once she was gone I settled back into the bed and prepared for sleep. I wanted to stay awake to greet my brother on his hopeful return, but I knew if I went to sleep time would go by quicker.

---

I woke up the next morning as Clarke entered the medical ward. I was still groggy as she approached me. Excitement coursed through my veins at the sight of her, if she was back, it meant Finn might be with her.

"Is-"

"Finn's back." Clarke confirmed as she sat down at the end of my bed. I instantly sat up, trying to get out of the bed, "He is? He's alive?"

Clarke nodded, but her face was solemn as she lightly pushed me back into the bed.

I gave her an odd look, wondering what was going on. "Where is he?" I asked, "I want to see him."

Clarke gave me a sad smile, "I wanted to warn you."

My face scrunched up in confusion, "Warn me? About what?"

The blonde girl looked down at her hands, "He's different, Avery. He-"

I cut her off with the nod of my head, "I know, he killed that guy in the bunker, Bellamy already told me. I've moved past that, I just want to see my brother."

"No, Avery, that's not it."

My shoulders slumped as I stared back at her, "What is it then?" I asked, my voice cracking in fear.

And so she told me. She told me that my brother had now not only shot that one man but had shot an entire village. I felt like I was going to be sick to my stomach the entire time she was speaking. By the end tears were streaming down my cheeks.

Clarke lightly took my hand and gave it a squeeze, "I'm going to let him know where you are in a minute so he can come see you. He's been asking about you the whole way back. I just wanted to give you a heads up."

I nodded numbly, "Thank you."

And with that, she left and I was once again alone. I replayed the conversation over and over again in my head. It was horrible what Finn did and it broke my heart, but he was still my brother. So the minute that door opened and he walked in I couldn't help but smile at him through my tears.

His eyes caught mine and he broke into a run, instantly crashing into me with a tight hug. I let out a small grunt as his body came into contact with my own. I wrapped my arms back around him, holding him close to me as my tears stained his jacket.

"You're alive." he breathed as he pulled back, his eyes scanning over the cuts on my face, eventually falling down to my bandaged leg. "What-"

"I was shot." I explained.

"At Mount Weather?" he questioned, his eyes flickering back up to meet my own. His eyes were darker, they had lost their usual shine and I barely recognized him anymore. This whole interaction felt awkward.

I nodded numbly as I played with the end of my bandage, "Yeah." I whispered, "Clarke told you?"

My brother gave a small nod in confirmation, "We're going to find a way to get the rest of our friends out of there. Trust me."

But that was the thing, could I trust him. Could any of us trust him to go out on his own anymore, who knew what he was going to do. But then again, he was my brother and I needed to give him the benefit of the doubt, "I trust you, Finn."

He smiled as he glanced back down at my leg. I noticed his stares and spoke up, "I'm getting surgery tonight."

Finn's eyes grew wide as he shook his head, "No! The surgery could kill you- Raven had it done and- God it was awful Avs."

"I know, Abby told me. But I need to have it done, I could die if I don't."

Finn sighed in succession, "Okay. I'll be there for you alright?"

I smiled at him as I nodded, "I know you will."