1 lost children

it's the first official day of work today. the past week we have been going through all the little bits and pieces, sorting out final rosters and doing a final check to see we have all the resources ready for the season. the filming crew start today as well so that's exciting!

maxi comes by my house and picks me up and we head off. "you know there's two new trainees joining us today aye" he says and i shake my head. "nah, who?" i ask and we hop out of the car. "i met them the other day, jesse and harrison. they're a year older than you - 23" he says and he grabs ahold of my hand as we walk towards the tower.

another day goes by and i am on one of the rhinos with harrison in the morning and then i'm in the tower at midday and with reidy in the afternoon. after a day or 113 rescues, two broken bones, two suspected spinals, four resuscitations and two lost children it's time to head home. we have a quick de brief just like every other day and maxi and i gather our stuff and head out of the tower. as we start walking away i notice a child, about 4 years old, sitting in the sand with no one around him, crying. "max" i say and point to the kid. "let's go check it out" he says and let's go if my hand as we approach the young boy. he sees us he gets scared and starts to run away towards the back of the beach. he's still crying and must be scared of us. soon enough he wears him self out and sits down, crying even harder. i approach him and crouch down beside him with maxi on the other side of me. "shhhh, it's okay" i say and he looks at me with his beautiful blue eyes. "are you lost?" i ask and he nods his head. "who are you here with?" "m-my d-ad" he says and starts crying again. "well should we go and find your dad" maxi asks and looks up at him. so fucking cute. "come on" maxi says and picks him up and sits him on his hip. he walk towards where we see a bunch of people and ask if they have a missing child. after ten minutes of walking up and down the beach we have no luck. "perhaps we should head back to the tower" i suggest and maxi agrees. the kid- who's name is jesse, starts to get cold and we sit him down and wrap on of maxis jackets around him. although its 10 sizes to big for him, it'll keep him warm. everyone's left the tower now so we are on our own, trying to find the kids father and keep him happy. to keep him happy i give him one of my muesli bar and he chew on that. i decide to leave him and maxi there and i patrol the beach again to see if there is a father looking for his son. soon enough maxi gives me a call saying he's found the father. i race back up to the tower and see the dad holding his son and talking to maxi. i reach the tower and maxi introduces me. "thank you two so much for this, i was getting quite worried" he says and we re assure him it's okay now because he has jesse back now. after saying our goodbyes and giving jesse a high five we finally leave the beach.

maxi comes up to my apartment and we have dinner together which is nice because we haven't really spent time out of work lately. "you were really good with poor little jesse today" i say to maxi as i cook the burger patties. maxis sitting on the bar stool on his phone and watching me cook and he smiles. "he loved you" i add and he chuckles. "i've always had a soft spot for kids" he says and i smile.

maxi ends us staying the night at mine which is nice because i've been at home by myself for two weeks in a row now. it makes me miss living with deano and his family.

i used to live with dean over the winter period because renting was becoming expensive. i'm from new zealand and have now just bought an apartment and am living here for good!

after waking up to many kisses from maxi i get out of bed and make us some food then we head to the tower. it's not a very busy day today, it's sunny but there's a slight southerly meaning cold winds and lots of bluebottles. we get called to about 15 rescues which isn't very many. most of us are in the tower except maxi and jesse and the southern end and reidy at the north end.