14

[ RATTLESNAKE ]

word count, 304

word count, 304

Jade woke up to a weight on top of her, she slowly opened her eyes and saw Hot Dog on top of her. She then looked over and saw Jughead in the kitchen, barely awake himself.

"I think he likes you more than me." Jughead spoke, pouring milk into his bowl of cereal.

"I know."

"Can we keep him around?" Jughead said with a small laugh, "That's the first time I've heard you speak in the morning without snapping at me."

"Watch it."

"What is the fourth law?" Tall Boy shouted at Jughead in the Whyte Wyrm.

"No serpent is left for dead." Jughead shouted back, trying to act intimidating.

"What is the fifth law?"

"A Serpent never betrays its own."

"What is the sixth?"

"In unity, there is strength."

"In unity, there is strength." Everyone in the room repeated after Jughead as Tall Boy did his weird hand motions that Jade had learned to deal with.

"You know the laws. Now, it time for the next trial." Tall Boy said as Sweet Pea and Fangs stepped away from blocking the tank with a snake and knife in it. "Retrieve the knife."

Jughead looked over to the tank then back to Tall Boy, "What?" Jughead's eyes moved it his older sister's, who nodded her head slowly at him. She didn't completely approve of him joining the serpents but, she knew she couldn't talk him out of it. So, it's better to be supportive..

"Rattlesnake, Jade." Jughead said, wrapping his hand in medical wrap. "The rattlesnake bit me and drew blood."

"One that had its venom glands removed." Jade said, resting her elbow on the table. "The important thing is you showed no fear. You grabbed the knife and remembered all the laws. Which means you're almost a serpent now, Jug."