24

[ MOUSE AWAY FROM A SNAKE ]

Jughead, Jade and Betty now stood outside the gate at the prison waiting for FP, with Alice behind them near her car

Jughead, Jade and Betty now stood outside the gate at the prison waiting for FP, with Alice behind them near her car. Jughead, Jade and Fp's face all had smiles on them as the three hugged.

"Hey, Betty." FP said to the blonde beside them as the three released from the hug.

"Hi, Mr. Jones." She spoke.

"Alice?" FP asked as he saw the woman standing by her car.

"Is it true what they say about men who have just been released from prison, FP?"

"What do they say?"

"That they're incredibly sexually frustrated."

"Mom? What!" Betty said, embarrassed by her mother.

"Wow.." Jade and Jughead both said at.

The five now sat in a booth at Pop's in silence, no one really knowing how to start a conversation until Alice spoke up, "The Black Hood is targeting sinners so, I'd watch my back if I were you, Fp. Especially when you re-join that gang of hoodlums."

"The Serpents aren't hoodlu-" Jughead was cut off by his father.

"I'm not going back to the serpents, Alice." The two Jone's siblings shared a look before FP continued, "I thought a lot about this while I was in Shankshaw and I'm done with Serpent Life. It's gonna be one last ride for my kids and I. It's to much of a slippery slope for me."

"The Serpents need you, Dad." Jughead said.

"Jughead and Jade need you, Mr. Jones." Betty commented.

"And what, pray tell, will you be doing with all of your extra time, Fp?" Alice questioned.

"Working, Warden Cooper" FP started, "I saw a help wanted sign in the window. Thought I'd talk to Pop about picking up some shifts."

"Let's hope your plans don't come crashing down once you start drinking again."

"Actually, I'm in AA. Started in jail and I don't plan on stopping."

After a ride down the road next to Sweetwater River, the three Jone's took a rest stop at a place near the river.

"Things got ugly when you were away." Jughead started the conversation. "I asked myself every day what you would do if you were here."

"Has Penny bothered you?" FP said, "Figured she's the one who greased my wheels."

"I did a job for her.." Jughead said.

"What kind of job?" FP's voice was stern.

"It was a one time thing. Figured it was best if I didn't ask too may questions." Jughead said, "We're squared away now, for good. I don't even know where she is, it's like she fell off the grid."

"You know, when I was 16, my old man kicked me out and told me to go to hell. Instead, I joined the serpents. Then the army, and then back again."

"I don't want that life for you, Jug. I want you to go to college, get out of this god forsaken town."

"I ran the gauntlet. I fought with the serpents, and for them. I have to stay. I wanna stay." Jughead said as FP sighed, "And I need your blessing."

"I've already taken Jade into this life, Jug. She stuck here because of me.. I couldn't even get her out now if I tried. It would be like trying to take a mouse away from a snake." FP said as a small smile grew on Jade's face as she looked at the ground, "Just promise me that you'll keep writing."

"I will. I do everyday."