19

[ EVOLVE OR DIE, BABY ]

word count, 597

"Jughead, calm down." Archie said as they both were in Pop's.

"Calm down?" Jughead said, clearly not calm. "Archie, Riverdale just became a police state!"

"McCoy's convinced the serpents are the ones dealing jingle jangle."

"Serpents don't deal that stuff. The Ghoulies do."

"So tell Mayor McCoy that."

"Oh, Mayor McCoy?" Jughead sat down opposite the ginger. "Do you mean the McCoy just arrested my sister and all my friends for no reason?" Jughead sighed, "What do you care anyway, man? I thought you and Betty wanted nothing to do with me, right?"

"Look, I'm sorry about what happened and how it happened. And as for Betty, you should maybe talk to her.."

"Sit down, kids." Jade and Jughead heard the voice of Tall Boy. "Business to discuss."

"Tall Boy, what the hell is this? Where are we?" Jughead question.

"You're in my house. It's the house of the dead." An unknown guy to Jughead walked in front of them.

Jade sure knew who it was, though.

"Well, I'm sorry. Who the hell are you?" Jughead asked.

"Why don't you ask your sister?" The guy asked.

"Take it easy, Jughead." Tall Boy stopped the two. " Malachi speaks for the Ghoulies." Jughead gave Tall Boy a confused look.. "With the heat on us and our ranks depleted, our tribes need to unite. And that's gonna be easier to do if you two endorse this partnership."

"Us?" Jughead asked, complete confused.

"You're Fp's son. That carries weight especially with our younger members." Tall Boy spoke, "Jade, every serpent trusts you. If you said jump, they'd ask how high. You're respected, and feared so the Serpents would trust this if you were for it to."

"Tall Boy, they're the reason Southside was even raided." Jughead said, "Them and their jingle jangle."

"Chaos is how we thrive. You better get used to it." Malachi spoke.

"Are you seriously going to do this to our dad?" Jade asked as Tall Boy stood.

"You're supposed to be his right hand." Jughead finished.

"The Northside declared war today. Your old man ain't here to call the shots. And, yeah I'm his right hand. That makes me de facto leader here and now, so.."

"You might be his right hand, but so am I. And who is more respected out of the two of us? Me. Who do the serpent's trust more? Me. Who do the serpents fear more? Me." Jade said, stepping closer to Tall Boy. "If you try to do something that goes against me. Good luck on getting more than a handful of serpents to oblige."

Jade turned on her heals and walked away, storming out.

"Things are changing Jones. Either you change with them, or suffer the consequences."

"Evolve or die, Baby. Evolve or die." Malachi said.

"This isn't an alliance with the Ghoulies, this is a hostile takeover!" Jughead said, as him, Jade and Archie sat in the Jones trailer. "Oh, god. Who knows how long Tall Boy has been planning on betraying us. Maybe I stall, just until Sweet Pea and Toni get out. I just hope they'd rather go to war with the Ghoulies than start.. dealing jingle jangle."

"One, how did you get out before them?" Archie asked, turning to Jade.

"Don't worry about it.." Jade spoke before Archie continued.

"Two, Jughead, you joined the serpents to keep the peace."

"Dad would never sit back and let this happen. So, neither will I. So, unless you have any better ideas."

"Not me.." Archie said.

"What you just said.." Jade said.