That Smile

It wasn't the first time an old military friend had come to visit Steve. It wasn't the first time Danny felt the furling of jealousy in the pit of his stomach either. It was, however, the first time Steve had blown off plans with Danny for said friend.

Danny watched as Steve smiled at the man he'd served with in the Navy. It was the blinding smile that Steve reserved for people that he truly cared for. Danny was lucky enough to be on the receiving end of that smile more than once.

"Drew Anderson," Steve pulled the blonde man into a hug.

"Steve," Drew hugged back, tightly.

Danny eyed the pair carefully. The last time Danny had met a friend of Steve's the guy had been a lying, manipulative scumbag that almost got Steve and Danny killed.

"Drew, this is my partner, Danny Williams," Steve put a hand on Danny's shoulder as he introduced them.

"Nice to meet you," Drew extended his hand, which Danny took politely.

"Navy buddy, I assume?" Danny gestured between the pair.

"We trained together," Steve nodded, his smile back on Drew.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything," Drew motioned to the computer where their latest suspects face still remained.

"Not at all, just finished up actually," Steve reached over to clear the computer screen. The team had just gotten back from solving a case.

"Great, I was wondering if I could steal you for lunch," Drew grinned at Steve in a way that didn't sit right with Danny.

"Yeah, of course, I'll grab my keys," Steve nodded before dashing off to his office.

Danny felt his jaw clench. He and Steve had plans to get lunch that day. Steve had been the one to make said plans, in fact. Now he was just blowing them off to go out with Drew. Danny knew he didn't have any right to be upset. Steve probably hadn't seen Drew in several years. He couldn't blame him for wanting to spend time with an old friend.

"Danny," Steve threw Danny the keys to the Camaro, "I'll see you guys tonight."

Danny only nodded as he caught the keys. He watched as Steve put an arm around Drew and lead him out the door.

"Weren't you supposed to have lunch with Steve today?" Kono asked from the doorway of her office.

"Yeah, but I mean, he hasn't seen the guy in forever so..." Danny waved a dismissive hand.

"Why don't you join Kono and I," Chin offered with an easy smile.

Danny glanced at the door Steve had disappeared through. "Yeah, sounds good."

-

Danny walked towards the table at Rumfire to see that Drew was joining them for dinner and was seated right next to Steve. The same smile from earlier was still planted on Steve's face causing Danny to huff silently to himself. It wasn't that he didn't want Steve to be happy, he just didn't like how happy Drew made him. He liked to be the one to make Steve smile like that.

"Danny, there you are, I was beginning to worry," Steve teased looking up at his partner.

"You worry? Doubtful," Danny quipped taking a seat on the other side of Steve who was seated proudly at the head of the table. He was thankful that Chin had saved the spot for him, opting to sit one seat down.

"What are you talking about? I worry about you all the time," Steve scoffed.

"Maybe you wouldn't have to worry so often if you didn't put me in danger so much," Danny quipped back.