More

Danny watched as Steve climbed out of bed. His eyes raked over his partner's tan muscles as he pulled on his shirt.

"Where you off to so early?" Danny asked then, realizing Steve was getting dressed. It was barely eight a.m. and they had the day off.

"I'm picking up Catherine from the airport. She's got a few days leave," Steve answered, grabbing his phone off the side table.

Danny's heart dropped at the mention of Catherine's name. He didn't have anything against Catherine, he rather liked her in fact, however he was less than a fan of her relationship with Steve.

"I won't plan on you being here for dinner then?" Danny asked, trying to keep the animosity out of his tone.

"I figured we'd go out with the team tonight," Steve shrugged as he slid his shoes on.

"Yeah, okay," Danny agreed simply. He didn't particularly want to go out with the team if that meant Catherine would be there, but he couldn't tell Steve that.

"I'll text you later," Steve called as he disappeared down the hall.

Danny's eyes closed with a sigh. You would have thought he would be used to Steve running out after a night together, but it never got easier. It hurt every time.

This had been going on for a little over a month. About two or three times a week Steve and Danny would hook up. It had started one night after a particularly stressful case. They got done late and Danny offered to order a pizza and have a few beers at his place. A few beers turned into two six packs, leaving the pair of them quite inebriated.

They had been talking about being single and Danny made a comment about how long it had been since he'd been with someone. Steve had agreed it had been a while for him as well. Catherine hadn't been around in almost six months. In a moment of drunken lust, Steve suggested they blow off some steam together.

Danny remembered the night well, it started off as a blow job, but that quickly escalated into more. It hadn't been weird the next morning like Danny thought it would have been. The pair woke up in Danny's bed, got ready and went to work. They didn't even mention it until later that night when Steve asked if he could come by again. After that, it became a thing.

Danny had been all for it at first, but it didn't take long for him to realize he was far too emotionally invested. He'd always had a thing for Steve, though he'd never told anyone.

When Steve first suggested the friends with benefits, he thought it would be a good way to get it out of his system. You want what you can't have and all that. But it only made Danny want Steve more and it made him want more out of their relationship. Like a goodbye kiss before Steve ran off to pick up his 'not girlfriend' from the airport.

Danny groaned as he drug himself out of bed. He hated to think that Steve would be spending his evening in bed with Catherine instead of him. He had been debating all week about stopping this friends with benefits thing between him and Steve. He just couldn't take the pain of watching Steve leave all the time. They acted like it didn't happen as soon as it was over, and it was too hard for Danny. His feelings for the Navy SEAL ran too deep now. But how could he end it without telling Steve the real reason why? He didn't want to hurt his partner, but he also didn't want to push him away by telling him the truth.

-

Danny opted to skip dinner that night, claiming not to feel well. He knew it was stupid, but he just couldn't watch as Catherine threw herself at Steve the way she always did. Not that he could blame her.

It was almost nine-thirty when he heard a knock on his door. He frowned, wondering who it could be so late. The only one he would have expected at this hour would be Steve, but he would be with Catherine.