Marriage(part 1)

The busy airport did nothing stave off the anxious feeling Danny was feeling. The bustling around and anxious fliers only added to the stress of his mother visiting.

"You okay? You seem nervous. You alright?" Steve asked, shrugging to signify the tension he had noticed in Danny's shoulders.

"I may be slightly nervous, you know. This is the first time my mom is visiting me since I moved here, and the first time meeting you, so I'm nervous, okay?" Danny gestured around, glancing over his shoulder constantly as he spoke.

"You should relax your mom's gonna love me," Steve was leaned back against the Camaro with a confidence that Danny sometimes admired, sometimes hated.

"I'm just gonna ask you to not tell her how you put my life in danger every day," Danny quipped before turning to where a blonde woman was now walking towards them.

"Hello, handsom." Clara smiled as she approached her son.

"Hey, Ma. It's good to see you."

"It's good to see you too."

Steve stayed back giving the pair time to hug.

When Clara pulled back she pointed at Steve, "You must be the famous Steve."

"You must be Mrs. Williams, aloha," Steve placed a pink and white lei around Clara's neck. "Let me just say, you look stunning, Mrs. Williams."

"Mahalo. Danny said you were charming," Clara smiled tossing her blonde hair over the lei.

"Did he?" Steve smirked over at Danny.

Before Danny could open his mouth to defend himself his mother continued.

"You two are adorable together. I don't know why you haven't proposed to Steve yet, honey," Clara looked at Danny with a knowing grin.

Steve noticed the way Danny tensed.

"Okay. I'm gonna give you two some privacy now. Hey, you need a hand with those?" Steve asked the man who was carrying Clara's many bags. He rushed off eagerly to help load them into the car.

Danny, thankful for the moment alone, turned to his mother, "Please don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Make those comments on my relationship."

Clara sighed.

"I'm serious. Please, Ma."

Danny's mom put an affectionate hand on his cheek, "Don't worry, Daniel, I'm here just to enjoy this beautiful place with my granddaughter, my son and his boyfriend," She smiled before walking off towards where Steve was finishing with her bags.

The car ride was easy enough at first. Simple conversation, until Clara brought up Steve and Danny again.

"You know, Danny always talks about you when we talk over the phone," She smiled at the driver's side where Steve was sitting.

"Really?" Steve asked, tossing a glance at Danny who was sitting in the middle of the backseat.

"Yes, you and Grace, all the time," She nodded.

"That's cause she always asks about you two, that's why I end up talking about you so much," Danny spoke defensively.

Steve grinned, "That's a lie. He loves talking about me to other people," He winked at Clara.

"See, Daniel? That's why I keep saying Steve would make a great husband," She held a hand out like she was presenting the idea for the first time, "You two are so lovely together. You really are. And I'm not just saying that because I'm Danny's mom."

Steve glanced back at Danny before giving Clara another smile. Steve knew without even looking at Danny that he was not happy.

"Ma, please, what did I ask you at the airport?" Danny huffed.

"What? I'm just saying you two would make great husbands."

"You know what I'm talking about, Ma," Danny's tone was getting more irritated.

"Honey, all I'm saying is that Steve is wonderful, and he makes you happy. And I wouldn't be surprised if you two get married someday."

Steve rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. He and Danny had never discussed marriage.

"Ma, let's just change the subject, please? This is something for Steve and I to discuss, privately."

Steve looked at Danny in the rear view mirror.

"Don't give me that look, I'm not being harsh here, and you know that's something we have to discuss," Danny shook his head. He would not be cornered by Steve and his mother.

"Fine. But I'm free the entire year to comeback here for any commemoration that may happen. or even to help with babysitting," Clara offered with a shrug.

At that moment Steve's phone rang. He quickly answered it as he pulled up to Danny's house, "Hi, hey Chin, hi. A case? Send me the address, I'll meet you there. Bye," He turned to Clara and Danny. "Sorry, another case came up and they need me."

Danny rolled his eyes as Steve climbed out of the car.

"We'll be waiting for you for dinner tonight," Clara waved.

"I'll be there," He smiled widely, "Bye Danno, Love you." With that, Steve was hurrying off to his truck.

"Really, Ma?" Danny huffed as he climbed out of the car.

"I know you, Daniel. You need that extra push."

"It's only been a year," Danny threw his hands up.

"Only? Daniel, honey, adoption takes months sometimes years, if you don't start now, I may never get to meet my grandson," Clara looked exasperatedly at her son.

"What?" Danny blinked at his mother.

"You two are gonna adopt one day, right?" Clara asked hopefully.

"Really?" Danny groaned.

"Are you two having problems, because I can give you the name of a great therapist. Though she's back in Jersey, but- Oh you can bring Steve to meet the family when you-"

"Ma, please," Danny snapped pressing his fingers to his temples. "Steve and I are not having problems. And he's barely met you, can we wait to throw him to the wolves just yet?"

Clara smiled sympathetically at her son, "Is this about what happened with you and Rachel?"

Danny's whole body tensed. He pointed a finger, "Do not compare her to Steve," he growled out.

Clara held her hands up in mock surrender, "Okay, Okay, I'll let it go for now, but you should seriously consider talking to Steve about this."

Danny let out a heavy sigh as he watched his mother walk towards the house. He knew she was right, but things were good with Steve, really good, he didn't want to do anything to ruin that.

(Inspired by a tumblr post)