Harassment

It was a typical busy night in the restaurant. The dining room was packed and there were several people in the waiting room. There had been no issues in the kitchen, as of yet anyway.

Steve was leaned against the freezer giving Danny the details of the case they'd been working on earlier. Danny had to bow out early to get to the restaurant.

Danny was listening as he overlooked the plates that were being put together.

"So, of course he ran," Steve rolled his eyes.

"Of course, they always do," Danny smiled as he handed a plate to a waitress that had just walked in.

"Umm, Mr. Williams," The waitress interrupted nervously.

"Yeah?" Danny stopped what he was doing.

"There's a couple out there and I may be out of line, but I feel like he's being a bit hostile. He's raised his voice a few times and I believe it's making the woman uncomfortable.

"What table is it?" Danny asked peering over the counter at the dining room.

"Nineteen. The woman in the red dress," The waitress pointed.

"I'll go check it out," Steve said pushing himself off the freezer door. He took the plate and made his way out of the kitchen.

Danny watched with admiring eyes as Steve approached the table with a large smile.

"Good evening, how is everything tonight?" Steve asked setting down the appetizer.

"We didn't order that," The man snapped in response.

"It's on the house, as a thank you for coming in," Steve smiled.

The woman looked tense but didn't say anything.

"Your meal should be out soon, is there anything I can get you in the meantime?" Steve spoke up again when neither responded.

"How about another chardonnay," the man gestured to the woman's still half full wine glass.

"I'm fine," She objected nicely.

"Why don't you have another glass, dear," the man growled through clenched teeth.

The woman straightened in her chair. Steve had learned from years of working with Danny that that meant she was uncomfortable.

"Is everything alright here, ma'am?" Steve asked putting his hands on his hips. He was used to his badge and gun being there.

"Everything is fine," The man answered for her.

"I was asking the lady," Steve smiled turning back to the brunette.

"Everything's fine, I'll take that chardonnay," She gave a forced smile.

"You sure?" Steve pressed. This guy was lucky that Steve had a reputation to withhold otherwise this guy would have a busted nose.

"Yes, thank you," She nodded taking the wine glass in her hand.

"I'll have it right out," Steve nodded with a smile. He shot the man a warning glare that didn't seem to bother him at all.

"What's the deal, babe?" Danny asked when Steve walked back into the back.

"Let's keep an eye on that table. Something is off about him," Steve said glancing over his shoulder at the pair.

Danny nodded as he noticed the two arguing. He would gladly have this man thrown out if he felt it necessary. It was his restaurant and he would not tolerate mistreatment of any kind.