Chapter 67

"Take a left up on this road." The woman instructed.

Abigail gulped and turned the wheel slowly.

Once the wheels straightened up, the woman nodded, writing down on her clipboard.

Sweat pooled down the sides of Abigail's face, her nervousness so evident a blind person could see it. Her palms were moist and she struggled to keep a steady grip.

"We are approaching a stop sign." She warned, eyes not lifting from her paper.

"What did you say?" Abigail asked, not having heard the woman's warning.

"I said we are app - "

Clank.

Oops.

----------------------------------

Billie's P.O.V.

It had been a few hours and family had started to clear out, wishing Avalon the best of recoveries.

I however, hadn't even thought about leaving.

What Ava had said before she went under still nagged at me. I knew it was completely impossible but then I got to thinking why she would say it.

Attention?

Or maybe she wasn't in the right state of mind...

I shook my head.

There was no was I was classifying her as crazy.

The door creaked to reveal the girl from before - Maddie I believe.

She tip toed into the room, careful as to not wake up the sleeping beauty.

"They went to eat." Maddie informed and I replied with a nod.

She tilted her head at me before asking:

"Why do you care so much?"

That shocked me.

"What?" I questioned.

"I just don't understand. You drop everything you have going for you back in LA to come here... I know you dated but that's past tense.." She watched me carefully for my response.

I cleared my throat.

"She uh - called me." I murmered, scratching the back of my head nervously.

At this, Maddie's eyes grew to the size of saucers. She struggled to regain her composure and her ability to form a coherent sentence.

"How I - What?"

"Last night she called me... She was screaming, calling out... Her voice had such a pained undertone that I could feel it. I knew something was wrong but I didn't know what. I flew down here late last night, forcing my half naked brother out of bed to come with me.."

"Avalon means the world to me. Even if she asked to bring me a damn bag of takis - which I love by the way, I would fly all across the fucking world to get it to her. All I want is for her to be happy." I concluded.

"You love her." Maddie stated.

I nodded and smiled.

"Yeah."

"Then why aren't you dating? Why would you let something get in the way? The way you speak of her makes it seem like it's pretty serious so why would you back off?"

"When I came to get her back she was already taken..."

"Ugh Sam." Maddie groaned, rolling her eyes.

I looked at her amused.

"You don't like him either?"

"Hell no. He reminds me of a damn cockroach though, I try and try to get rid of him but he keeps coming back!" She exclaimed, seemingly wanting to say more before her phone buzzed.

She looked down at whoever had texted her and her entire mood changed. Her eyes widened with an emotion I unfortunately knew all to well.

Fear.

Thinking I hadn't noticed, she masked the expression and put on another smile.

"Gotta go. It's my - girlfriend."

Something about the way her voice cracked in the sentence unsettled me.

"Hey is everything alr -"

She was already out the door.

After she was gone, my brother Finneas walked into the room, running a hand through his hair.

He seemed guilty.

"Yo what's up." I greeted, pulling my phone out of my pocket.

"Hey. How is she?" He asked, sounding a bit rushed.

I cast her a longing gaze before meeting his eyes again.

"Still asleep. Hey, are you alright?"

I had noticed his anxious demeanor ever since he stepped through the door and it was kinda unsettling me.

"Yeah I'm great. Just had some stuff to deal with."

I nodded slowly, not really believing him but deciding to question him on it later.

Avalon began to stir in her sleep and I rushed out of my chair to meet her side.

"Rise and shine sleeping beauty." I whispered.

Her eyes slowly peeled open and her eyes adjusted to the bright light.

"Mm hey." She greeted with a soft smile.

As much as I wanted to wait, I couldn't help but ask her the question I had been longing to ask.

"About what you saw..." I started slowly, not wanting to scare her.

Her eyes widened at my prospect before her eyes fitted behind my head. She swallowed nervously and met my eyes, the facade coming up.

"What are you talking about?" She asked, genuinely confused.

I sighed and leaned closer to her ear.

"You said you saw G-"

"Look Bil I'm really tired right now." She yawned.

She just woke up from a fucking four hour nap...

"Love, at least tell me what the hell happened last night I wanna know why you-" I pressed, needing to know.

"I SAID - " she sighed, regaining her composure and rubbing her forehead. "- I said I'm tired."

I was shocked by the way she responded to me. It was just a question.

"Um alright.. I will be right back.." I told her, feeling slightly hurt.

She nodded distantly and I made my way to the door, gesturing for my brother to follow.

"One sec. I wanted to talk to Ava about something." He said smiling softly at me.

At this point I didn't even care so I nodded my head and walked out of the room.

No matter how hard I try I'll never be good enough.

-----------------------------------

I am lacking I knoowwwww.

I am trying but school is fucking trash and keeping up with it is even worse.

On another note, I went driving the other day! It was fun until my mom directed me to the main road where THE FUCKING PO PO WERE DRIVING NEXT TO ME. I almost got arrested 😂

Kidding kidding.

Anyway,

Hope you guys had a better day than me!

<3 Gigi