Chapter 12

Everything around me was humming with energy. I could feel the air vibrating in between my fingertips, as it filled the space in my lungs as I took a breath, as the resistance against my wings as they expanded and stretched out to either side of me. Everything felt so-

alive.

Grey's eyes remained wide as my gaze drifted from his to those around me. They appeared just as surprised too. I was alive, wasn't I? That meant I had succeeded, and my body was fully transitioned, right? This all went exactly to plan- what could they possibly be surprised about?

"Good God," Zerachiel whispered beside me. My gaze shifted to him and he took a step back, eyes wide with either fear or awe- I couldn't tell which. Even Siena, who seemed impossible to catch off guard, had her mouth slightly agape, eyes open wide in shock.

"Jordan?" I heard Grey's voice and turned back to face him. He clenched his jaw slightly when I made eye contact. What was everyone so worked up about?

"What?" I raised an eyebrow slightly. The air around me continued to hum with energy, a constant white noise, as I pulled myself up onto my feet.

"What are you doing?" Grey asked softly, taking a cautious step towards me. Grey? Cautious? Okay, something really must be wrong.

"Nothing- I survived, didn't I?" I furrowed my brows, glancing around at all of the statuesque Angels.

Grey glanced to Zerachiel, whose gaze still seemed fixated on me, unable to process anything else. "Look at your skin, love," Grey murmured softly, taking another cautious step towards me. I glanced down at my wrists.

Holy.

Motherfucking.

Son of a bitch.

My skin was glowing. Not like that weird shit from Twilight where Edward was like all sparkly and what not- no, I was straight up glowing. Like a flashlight or something. It looked like there were a million little stars just underneath the surface of my skin, emanating a consistent silver glow from within.

And it was everywhere. My arms, my shoulders, my wings- I'd bet even my eyes were glowing.

Is this what happened during Angelic transition? Why did nobody warn me? Why did I turn into a fucking flashlight?

"What-?" I began, but was unable to finish the sentence. I didn't even know what to ask. 'What the fuck' wasn't going to give me any answers.

"How do you feel, dear?" Haniel asked softly, narrowing her eyes slightly at me. I shrugged, pulling my wings back in towards my body, feeling confused and oddly- I don't know- ashamed? I felt like an animal in a zoo, or some sort of weird mutant. I could tell that whatever was going on with me wasn't normal by the way they stared.

"Fine, I- I feel powerful? A little bit like I've had too much caffeine- I don't know," I glanced back and forth between every pair of eyes staring at me. Now this- this was overwhelming. Was something wrong with me? Was I going to explode or something?

"Did He inform you that she was this powerful?" Haniel turned to Zerachiel, who shook his head in a definitive no.

"I knew her soul could tip the scales of the Reckoning, but- Haniel- this hasn't been seen since-" Zerachiel began, turning to converse amongst the Archangels.

"Since-," Jophiel continued, his eyes narrowing into a slight scowl.

"Will somebody please explain to me why the hell I'm glowing?" I growled angrily, breaking the timid silence. The three Archangels turned to me, glancing briefly at Grey, then back to me.